Weight gain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a thyroidectomy 10yrs ago and the last 2yrs have gained 20pds.

Haven't been eating more but I've been gaining weight very easily.

: (

My resent TSH was 7.76 so I had a med change.

I walk approximately 3miles a day.

Does anyone have any weight loss tips? A specific diet for thyroidectomy or hypo people?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The best type of diet is high protein high, gluten free. Do some research on Paleo and gluten free diets. 

Your TSH is pretty high, which means your metabolism is slow. What this means is that if you eat the way you normally would, you gain weight. Similarly, you won’t lose weight if you drop your calorie intake as you normally would to lose weight. 

With thyroid disease, you have to reduce your caloric intake substantially to lose weight. A 1500 calorie a day diet and exercise will not result in weight loss. It may however slow or prevent weight gain. Go from there to adjust your calories to actually lose weight.

• Posted

Hi JRas

I do know that with hypothyroidism there are foods that we should avoid such as low calorie foods, cruciferous foods eg broccoli, kale, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. Almonds, peanuts, walnuts, sweetcorn. Also avoid soya. Hope this helps but also check out Dr Westin Childs on youtube.

• Posted

I have found that taking levothyroxine at night, at least 4 hrs after eating, eating in a window of time to allow digestion to rest (coffee 7am, breakfast 10:30, lunch, 1:00, dinner 5:30) and eating very low gluten, low sugar, high veggies has made losing weight easy. Also, I'm finding that when I eat seaweed in evening (4-5 pieces of Costco brand), I've suddenly started sleeping all night without waking up!

• Posted

So taking your medication that late at night doesn't keep you awake?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.