Weight gain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone.. is it possible to be a healthy weight with hypothyroidism?? I've gained 2 stone in a year and can't see the light at the end of tunnel.. a part from all the other symptoms I just want to be me again!! Xx

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Just been diagnosed after months of struggling with my weight, I’m a slimming world member and just one week on plan I used to be able to lose 4-7lbs if I’d had a gain but every week lost between 1-3lbs. This year after being at target for 6 months I left my local group and carried on alone, this was fine up until the past 2 months. I’ve gained 1 stone and apart from the odd takeaway I’ve not changed my diet from slimming world. It’s getting me so down my GP has increased my anti depressants. Just had more bloods taken today and got a phone consult Wednesday to discuss thyroid results and hopefully start meds, however she may make me wait till the end of August when I’ve got my endo appointment. Anyway just wanted to say you’re not alone. I’ve got everything crossed that meds will help me shift the weight I’ve gained as I’m getting married next May and due to dress shopping in July! Hope someone comes to reply with some help and advice for us xx
  • Posted

Joanne and hazel..glad I'm not the only one on here struggling 😥 .. I've met you few people recently who have hypothyroidism and all very large and I do not want to be light that. I lost 3lbs the other month and without changing my diet I put it back on.. so frustrating... jeez the only side affect I want from levo ( weight loss) I don't blooming get 😥. Let's hope ladies someone here has some answers

• Posted

Low dose T3 added to your thyroid med may help rev up your metabolism, some nonthyroid people have it rxd for weight loss. . Dieting and cutting calories can just slow down your metabolism. Walking more...A LOT more. Take the stairs. The more you weigh the easier it is to lose more weight in the beginning...but stretched out skin can be a problem....go offline and.get up and move yourself.
  • Posted

Hi Beverly, there is hope. I managed to get mt thyroid diaease under control at one point in my life and enjoyed a blissful 10 years of size 4! Later the hypothyroid disease returned but at least I know its possible.

My best tipa are:

Glutenfree, paleo attle diet

Good quality vitamin and mineral supplements, essential amino acid supplements, digestive enzymes, reduced caloric intake based on hypothyroid disease. The last is difficult. Your metabolism is alow and isn't burning as many calories, so if you use standard dietary caloric intake recommendations, you could easily gain weight. You’ll have to wxpeeiment qith wjat works for  you. I found that to lose weight, I need to carefully budget my calories- the easiest way to do this is to choose a high protein diet.

Most of the supplements assist with hetting proper nutririon since a big problem with slow metabolism is poor digestion, and malnourishment.

• Posted

Hi

I have had my thyroid removed and have had the weight gain problem which is getting me down.  My question is I have scoured this site looking for help and we get answers which means we need to ask more questions about.  What vitamins? what mineral supplements, digestive enzymes ???? thanks for your answer but I don't know what you mean sorrysad

• Posted

Well asked Christine.. as you say people are telling us about supplements.. but what to get ???x
    • Posted

From my post below, I have gained a lot of weight and can't seem to lost. If I exercise I have extremely joint pain. What supplements would you recommend? I suffer from the brain fog and lack of concentration. My doctor has jumped by Levo from 100 to 175 currently.

• Posted

For the joint pain. Try tirmeric and bromelain in a capsule together.

I made some other recommendations but I  guess its getting edited. If the dont post the details or you need more, send me a pm and I can give you some sources that work for me.

• Posted

Not sure why your post got edited but could you give us some more information regarding supplements. Thanks in advance xx
    • Posted

The things I’ve foond very helpful are essential amino acids, boron, and digestive enzymes. The chewable digestive enzymes arent great, you need the capsules. 

I use prenatal vitamins as needed, because they don’t contain allergens and offer a full range of nutrients. Also multimineral because the trace minerals are important.

You can’t  rely on calory/ weight charts, you have to see what coloric intake works for you. Ive done many diets, most of which I fained weight. I finally lost weight when I listened to my body and realized that sll gut pain isn’t hunger, and that all those calorie charts  are useless.

Getting enough protein is super important.

Dealing with underlying causes of weight gain is siper important.  Hypothyroidism, chronic pancreatitis, sluggish or toxic liver are major contributors to weight gain.

• Posted

Thyroid meds have kept my lipids ( cholesterol, trigs, HDL etc.) and A1C /blood glucose at healthier levels than ppl close to me and others I know who have no thyroid problems. I am about 12lb above ideal wt. But as you get older a higher BMI (not too high) has advanteges.
  • Posted

My doctor keeps increasing my Levo. I started at 100 and now I'm up to 175. I can hardly sleep but my weight gain is increasing. I have tried the Keto diet but I don't have a gallbladder and I gained more weight. I am trying to stay high protien and low carbs and more vegetables but I'm not seeing any improvement. I have tried exercise but with the increase in the Levo my joints hurt.

Not sure what to do at this point.

• Posted

I gained massive weight on the levo. I’m talking massive weight and bloat. I went from a size small (4) to a size XL in Less than three months. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.