Weight gain after gall bladder removal!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've had my gall bladder removed last august and I have put on two stone since having it done.(8months)

I've not been eating much fatty foods and I would say I've got less active so I can't figure out how I have put so much weight on.

I've been to have blood tests to check if I am diabetic etc waiting on the results, that's the part they don't tell you at the doctors that eventually you may become diabetic.

The doctors haven't put me on any supplements to help and said that the weight gain isn't to do with having the operation. So I've been to a health shop and deciding I'm going to try some stuff that may help, I've bought a tub of lecithin and some herbal bitter drops see if that makes a difference, I'm thinking of trying if bike tablets next of this doesn't help.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry that was meant to say I haven't been less active**

• Posted

Sorry you're dealing with this.  My suggestion is to try to find out if you have a fatty liver.  If you have a fatty liver, it is unable to digest fat and stores it in your body and in the liver itself. One's liver can become fatty because of a diet high in sugars, including high fructose corn syrup.  Foods that are advertised as low fat are often high in sugar to make them more palatable. And, high fructose corn syrup is used in lots of food products.    

If you do have a fatty liver, I think that changing what and how you eat is extremely important. One needs to avoid using or consuming sugars as well as eating low fat.  I don't suggest such things as a liver flush, because those products can make you extremely ill and stress your liver. There are also nutritional supplements that can be used, but those are not herbs that purport to cleanse your system.   

• Posted

Thank you I shall have to get that checked just incase
    • Posted

You're welcome!  I still have a mild fatty liver, but it was much worse than it is now.  Please let me know how you get on!  Oh, if you've had an ultrasound of your gallbladder, whether or not you have a fatty liver might be evident.  

• Posted

Hi Caz

Had my open cholecystectomy in February 2017, followed by a liver resection in March. Despite sticking to a low fat diet of 1300 calories which I have been on since diagnosis in September 2016 my weight loss of about 1.5 lbs a week has just stopped and I think I may even have put on a couple of pounds! Read a lot about people who have piled weight on after cholecystectomy and don't want that to happen to me. I had a moan to my daughter, who is a nurse and she says it's common after major surgery: the body hangs onto everything it can to aid recovery. She says it's a question of persevering with the diet until my body has recovered. It kind of makes sense to me. I find the fatty liver suggestion an interesting concept too and will look into that.

• Posted

hi, I have read a lot of calories etc... I was paleo for years before this happened. I have read over and over low fat makes you gain fat, the more you restrict your calories, the more likely in the end you will gain weight as you body learns to run on starvation mode and keeps all the calories it can. Healthy fats are neccesary for a healthy body, low carb is way more likely to help with weight loss than low fat.

Also low fat foods are often full of filler, this makes us actually consume more in the long run as we are hungrier.

• Posted

Hi Caz, I have heard that people can put on weight after surgery generally because they can now eat foods that they couldn't before and eat more than they had before. I don't know what removing the gallbladder does to your metabolism, I suppose it is possible that it messes with that as well.

Not knowing what your lifestyle is and what food you eat makes it difficult to make any suggestions but I hope you find a solution. 

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago and last year I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

Take care and keep in t ouch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.