weight gain after hysterectomy

Posted , 10 users are following.

I know this may seem rather daft with what everyone is and has gone through....however...

I have myhysterectomy on 6th march and i was wondering if everyone gains weight they cant shift following a hysterectomy.

I only ask this as i have lost 8 stone and now i have to have this done it worrys me that its all going to go back on due to hormones etc.  I have to go on HRT obviously but does this make you gain weight?? 

Sorry if this seems shallow....its not.  Just a concern of mine! 

xx

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Well done on weight loss.

I'm not sure of the answer to this as have had menopause before surgery.

Various nurses and fellow ladies who have had hysterectomy have said that you lose weight / will be a better woman/ best thing ever happened to them - So am waiting on this !

• Posted

ooooh ok i havent heard that one yet! 

Bonus if thats the case smile

I joined this site to see what people have gone through etc and to be honest its made me worry more...so many bad stories!  its made me want to not have it done!  However keep telling myself that they are in recover so they are going to be in pain etc and everyone is different.

Have you had your surgery yet?  

Rach

• Posted

Yes had mine on the 14th jan.

Would be lying if I said its a breeze.

But it's worthwhile if u need to have it done etc.

It will be painful. Will be sore. You must take it easy.

Hopefully have people around you to look after you.

• Posted

Hi Zena,

Did you have keyhole or abdominal surgery, and have you got any useful tips?

Thanks

xxx

• Posted

I had to have abdominal as they had to do corrective surgery on another op I had before and then they started the hysterectomy.

So I have a long cut from belly button downwards.

I am not sure that this would be so if having a straightforward hysterectomy abdominally. Maybe would it be like a C section cut ?

My advice is to make sure you rest and sleep. Hopefully have people to look after you. Eat well. At first light stuff. Soups are good. Eggs. Protein. Pro biotic yogs. Fruit.

Don't lift anything ! A rule I read was only lift things that can easily be lifted with one hand. That's a fair marker.

Because of my wound I sleep on my back with three pillows propping me.

Have a shower - makes you feel better - even though it also is so much effort.

Comfort clothing is good too.

Lots of fluid.

I had my op on 14th jan. the past two days have felt a lot better. Easier to move. Brighter in myself. Have even potterer about in kitchen and did some washing although hubby had to help with that a bit.

• Posted

Once you keep active when healed after op and eat sensibly you shouldn't really put on weight.
  • Posted

Its not shallow at all.it was and is always on my mind.

So far I have lost weight, I am only small anyway but weighed 8 stone 10 pre op but at present im 8stone 1.

I will just eat healthy and get back to excersice when I can.

if the truth be known I used to like s few vinos on a friday and sat but since op ive prob only had 3 bottles in total over the last 3 months so im sure thats got a lot to fo with it too

• Posted

When I had my hysterectomy in December I was told by my sister that she lost weight after she had hers, all I can say is I haven't gained but equally haven't lost either but as I was well through the menopause beforehand I didn't need hrt. Congrats on your weight loss though.
  • Posted

Hi,

I keep reading that you don't have much appetite for a while so that should make you lose a few pounds.I have a 20cm fibroid and i am interested to know how much that weighs.My op is on April 7th

• Posted

Hello I'm 3 weeks post op and have lost over a stone in weight, I'm not going to lie the first 2 weeks are ok, as you lose your appetitate and only want small meals, I tend to want to pick, so I make sure there's nothing about, or I have to bend for it, which I can't yet do. I'm starting to walk, only short , but it's there. Some people may put weight on, but if there going to eat crap they will. I've still got more to lose. It I'm on the right path. Good luck with yours well done on weight loss, and do everything the doctor says. 
  • Posted

Hi

I a. 3 weeks post TAH with BSO.Although i have lost 6 pounds since my surgery i am still bloated and swollen to the point that i can only wear my usual bras on the loosest setting for a few hours😆I have just ordered some comfort bras with no underwires and hooks (zip up front ones) but l am big boobed naturally.I have been on HRT for about 11 months and have gained about the same in weight pre op.Having said that the pain every month lasting for 2 weeks meant that i was only able to do half the number of Zumba lessons and social dance classes every month

Am hoping when i am totally healed in another couple of months to get back to full activities but will stay on the HRT as it has really helped with night sweats,hot flushes and moog swings. Good luck😊

Sharon x

• Posted

I am 9 weeks post LAVH and still wearing bras with the extender hooks, I have loads of bras and wasn't about to buy any more! I am not quite as bloated but still some neutral
  • Posted

That was meant to say mood swings bloody predictive text

Also a mahoosive WELL DONE TO YOU ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS😅😊😊

• Posted

Hi ladies ..i am just over 4 weeks into. Recovery and can say never. Felt this good as I did before..i had a 10 cm fibroid removed with everything else ..barr ovaries ..i had it done by keyhole how lucky I was ..3 small stitches. To show my op 😁..by the second wek I was practically back to norm ..the only pain I had was wind ..but I soon got rid of that by walking around as much as possible. Drinking lots of water ..i am getting. Hot flushes at night and restless. Sleep as I am a bed /sleep person ..i only have 2 more weeks before I go back for check up before I can drive ..and have full intercourse ..i hope I'm not having menopause yet as I'm 48 ..i had a marina coil before all this which stopped all my periods and possibly. Helped with all hormone problems..i may have been going. Through it with the coil but obviously. Didn't realise ..atm I'm walking everywhere and long walks and eating healthy I do not want to put on any more weight..only want to shed a couple of stone 😁 ..mind over matter is my Moto lol xx
    • Posted

Well done you !

I too am 4 weeks after but have wound down middle and had complications - but am feeling so much better. Also not having to take various tablets that had effects on moods - I actually feel like myaelf again mentally. ( crazy woman is back ). More mobile and eating healthy and drinking lots water.

Nice to see end of tunnel !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.