Weight gain after hysterectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies, I hope that you are all keeping well at your various stages of post op?

I am now almost 13 months post op, I gained almost a stone before my op as I was on bed rest because my haemaglobin was so low and basically I stuffed my face with everything I fancied, I am having a devils own job trying to lose it again, I am walking the dogs for over an hour a day (not a slow walk)and am eating normally, I'm vegetarian so eating plenty veg etc have cut down the pasta/spuds/bread but the weight just won't shift, also still on occasion have swelly belly which makes me look fatter than ever,from my waist up I don't look too bad it's my tummy, it seems to have changed shape also or maybe that's my imagination, anyone else having trouble with weight after their hysterectomy? or is it just me? I am about to start the 5:2 diet again hoping that this will work but any suggestions from you ladies would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Phoebe x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Phoebe

havent got any answer for you, but will be following.....I've noticed since my op, i've had an incredibly sweet tooth for cakes and biscuits, amd trying to keep hydrated, nd with the family making me drinks all the time, my sigat consumption was becoming ridiculous...lst week I decided to sugar dtox...including no bread, grains pasta, potatoes etc..anything that converts to sugar in the body..the weekend thought I would 'relax' it a bit, but found I wasnt enjoying anything bar one slice of a friends lemon cake.. Think I will continue on with detoxing sugar as I'm concerned about putting on more weight, esp whilst trying to build some stamina for swimming or something. Need something to help burn it off. Best wishes. K

• Posted

I might try this, I am starting the 5.2 diet today and i have also just downloaded 'the 8 week blood sugar diet' so will have a read of that, must step up the exercise a bit as well.
    • Posted

Apologies for all the spelling/word errors..typed up late with no reading glasses on!  Looks like you managed to make sense of it anyway.  just wanted to encourage you, you're not alone. Never had such a sweet tooth before the op, so wondered if it was the body tring to compensate somehow.. best wishes again
  • Posted

Hi Phoebe, I had a hysterectomy &  removal of my ovaries & calliope tubes in my 20s . I was always slim but I did put on weight. But eventually I lost it again.

My tummy is the exact same I'm afraid..at times you would think I was pregnant.

Yvonne

• Posted

Gosh you were very young, sorry to hear that.

Yes I can look pregnant at times and at almost 63 I get really funny looks lol! I really expected to be properly back to normal again by now, however I have been very lucky in other respects so it's a small price to pay. I start my 5.2 diet today.....fast day today wont do me any harm.

Phoebe

• Posted

Ock Phoebe honestly it was the best thing I ever got done.

I had so many problems it was a relief, I was up & about within a week. Only regret no more children & I got married the same year

• Posted

thanks for your positive feedback. i am facing surgery soon. i would like to think i will be up and about quickly, not lingering without energy for 6 months or a year. that would drive me nuts. i have a very active lifestyle and i swim all the time. hopefully that will boost my recovery time and i will be very satisfied with the results. after all, i have few choices.
  • Posted

Hey Phoebe!!!!! How the devil are you?? So here we are one year later! Hope things are going well for you xx

Yes I have had the weight gain problem too, around a stone also but then I did have to have another operation in November!! I had to have my gall bladder removed, which needed doing before the hysterectomy but had to go on the back burner for a while, so there was another 6 weeks of sitting stuffing my face LOL

I have this week joined weight watchers, I am hoping this will sort me out as I also have the pregnant looking tummy though at 43 I get less strange looks LOL

xxxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.