Weight gain after ovaries removed

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello ladies!

i had both ovaries removed Thursday. I am concerned that without the estrogen production from the ovaries that I will gain weight. Is that a possibility? If so, should I get hormone replacement therapy or investigate isoflavones such as soy supplements?  Has anyone had any experience with this???

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had both ovaries removed and a hysterectomy on 30 March. I started on HRT just over three weeks ago. Since my op I have gained 13 lbs. I am unsure what this is due to, it could be either the surgery or the HRT. At the moment I am trying not to worry about it and am just trying to get everything else stable. I got pretty severe night sweats and hot flushes within a few days of surgery. The sweats have stopped with the HRT but the flushes haven't and my temperature control is all over the place still. Once I have minimised these symptoms Ii intend tackling the weight thing. Sorry I can't offer more wisdom, but I do think for some people weight gain is a consequence of this life stage. 
    • Posted

Sorry. It keeps popping out. I don't know if I mentioned that I'm 64 and went through menopause already several years ago.

I hope I'm not doomed to gain weight!

• Posted

I think it might be the HRT as I didn't notice weight gain in the first month post op, and I gave also started with fluid retention in my ankles. I am on HRT patches. The tablets may have different side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.