Weight Gain after stopping Citalopram.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I took 10 mg for a year, then it did stopped working. Higher dosages made me feel ill. I gained 5 lbs on the medication and had no sexual desire at all. I decided to ease myself off.  I cut the pill in half and took 5mg for 2 months. No issues during that time. Then I cut to 5 mg every other day for 3 weeks. At that point, decided to stop entirely.  It has been 4 days. I still have the brain flashes and the light headedness. I also have periods of heightened anxiety as well.  And, I have gained 3 lbs in 4 days while eating regularly. Yikes!  I refuse to go back on the pills.

I have added magnesium and HTP5 each day but not much help.  

Has anybody else experienced this type of weight gain? Is there any other supplement that would help the withdrawal period?

One good thing, my ability to remember words has returned. For awhile, I could not remember simple names of items.

Thanks

Sandy

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandy, the withdrawals will take time even if you dont feel any adverse effects the weight gain seems to be common a friend of mine she also had the weight gain, she runs a lot and that seemed to help equalise the gain after sometime people say their normal weight metabolism normalises ? different for everyone I guess..... 
  • Posted

Oooo--I had no idea it affected speech in that way.  I knew about the weigh gain though. 

I may well ome off it--have cut down, but I find it really helps in the winter. 

• Posted

Hi Sandy, the weight gain is a real pain, I've been off cita, for alittle over a month and have been working hard to drop a couple pounds, but no luck yet. If u get a way to figure out how to jump start the metabolism, let me know, just so u know u r not alone there, I hope all other side effects have gotten better, and being off of cita is great! We gotta just keep hanging in there! Live Strong!!
    • Posted

Thanks Beth,

About 10 days off and beginning to feel normal.  I notice tha the pre-cit anxiety has not returned.  Godsend.  I am hoping I remain in these good spirits. How are yo doing?

Sandy

• Posted

Hey Sandy, attitude is doing great, I sometimes feel like the cita is still in my system. Still trying to be positive and working out to lose some weight, seems like metabolism is at a standstill. But not giving up. How u doing, in that department? And that's great that the anxiety is at bay, and it make come back, here and there, but u can do this! Beth
  • Posted

Hi sandy.  I am so glad to hear I'm not alone 

I have been off now few weeks after  cutting down for a few weeks.  Weight gain is really doing me in.   I have been healthy eating to get ready for the xmas parties  and have gained over half a stone.    I'm really gutted

but thought I was cracking up.  Sleepless  nights and. Brain Zaps. Well thought I had lost it 

I'm just off to sleep now. Working in morning.  

But will start my new day tomorrow feeling that there is a Light at the end of the tunnel  (CITALOPRAM).  20mg.  

NO MORE.   I was on them for About 6 years.......

Hears to a thinner ME. next year. 2016

i can take three months to get out your system. I've heard from other posts I've read.      

Thanks again Sandy.   And good luck.   Keep your chin up 🙋👍😇

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.