Weight gain an adverse affect of discontinuing citalopram

Posted , 43 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi I was put on citalopram for a few months, within a month of stopping I started to gain weight within 6-8 weeks I was 2.5 dress sizes bigger and for 5yrs I exercised twice a day burned 2000 cals and ate under 1000 a day and couldn't shift the weight. The doctors did all sorts of tests and nothing came up. Thats when my normal happy life stopped i only went on them because i was ancious about a break up. I continued visiting the doctor with new research as to what it may be. Then 11 months ago something happened and I was prescribed citalopram again and within a few months I'd lost the weight I just assumed it was stress but I exercised less and ate more which was odd. Then 4months ago I came off the citalopram and got my energy back and started running again but started gaining weight and within 6/8 wks I was 2dress sizes bigger which is when I started researching citalopram I found American forums with many people in the same situation and someone called it paradoxical weight gain iv been in touch with lundbeck the makers of the drug but they so say have had no reports. This I find hard to believe there are so many people with the same reaction on the American sites. Also in the research iv done there are studies in animals that suggest the brain does not renormalise after coming off citalopram and they deny this could have anything to do with weight gain. How can it not? Your body needs serotonin and tryptophan receptors to burn fat, if this function does not renormalise surely it can affect weight?? Does anyone have anything to help me?? I'm thinking of taking them to court as I am now depressed on diazipam having panic attacks all because I was a little anxious about a break up 6 yrs ago. Please help if you know anything x

4 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi im shyla lost over 150 pounds in a healthy way went slowly off meds got tons of energy
    • Posted

Good for you!!! How long were you off meds before the weight started to come off?
  • Posted

Omg I just found this forum, I have put on 3.5kgs since stopping citalapram on the 19/12/15. Arrrrg I thought I was going insane, my breast have become huge, my belly is massive, this can't be right
  • Posted

Tasmin

I am not sure if you are still struggling with your weight after coming off Citilapram, but i am!  As i reduced my dosage following a 12 month prescription for this drug, i started to gain weight.  There is no way that i would of gained this much weight in such a short time without some serious eating! Within only a few weeks i was bloated all around my middle and the tops of my legs.  I have definately gone up a size and absolutely hate myself for it. 

I spoke to my doctor who just said it was my age!  I have tried the usual things i do to lose a few pounds and nothing works.  I am even considering taking the drug again just to see if i can lose this extra weight. 

Do you have any updates for me?  I am so fed up of feeling so uncomfortable now

Jacquie

• Posted

Hi Jacquie,

I'm amased by this series of posts on here. I've followed my doctors advice and come off citalopram really slowly over the last 4 months. I took the last tablet last week. I spent most of yesterday in tears and was convinced I was back in the Low Place that had put me on the tablets in the first place. Over the last 2 months I have also piled on the pounds. This is really unlike me. My weight has always been really steady, I eat healthily and am pretty active. I had put it down to my age and turning 40 in December. Now though my waist is so bloated, hardly any of my clothes fit. This is adding to my low mood.

This discussion has helped enormously this morning. What I'm looking for now are any ideas or tips on what to do about this weight gain, how to cleanse my system of the effects of this drug? I am absolutely determined not to go back to taking citalopram again! How has your research gone?

All the best Jacquie,

Kathryn xx

• Posted

I was considered to have very severe anxiety and depression, so I finally decided to go on Citalopram like my doctor suggested. I've always been an active person. I lift weights a lot, and am active. I'm 23, 5'4'' and between 135-140 for a while. I got on citalopram and gained a little weight. I decided to quit cold turkey one day because I thought it was making me gain weight and I didn't need meds to help me. I gained 10 lbs. Heaviest I've ever been. I always felt light headed, anxious and uneasy. I decided I needed to go back on where I left off, 30 mg. I began to lose weight rapidly. Back down to my normal weight. I had exercised through all this and didn't really change anything so it makes me think the meds had a big part on this. I am still on the meds and I feel better. I hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi Tamsin,

I realise this thread was a while ago but I wonder if you have had any update ?

Thanks ,

Chris

• Posted

Hey noticed you posted relatively recently, any chance you've had any luck? I just stopped taking about 2 months ago and gained at least 15lbs. I'm going to try taking again, and see if that helps.

• Posted

Hi Bryanna,

I came off my last weaning dose of 10mg in the last week in November. I was until 3 weeks ago my heaviest in my whole life at 82kgs. At the peak of drug dose (40mg) I was 73Kg. Before medication and depression I would average 76kg. It seems to me (anecdotally) that the tablets really stabilised my weight over three years.

Now about weight retention after stopping ... its probably two soon to say and possibly my weight increase coincides with Christmas , increased drinking wine over a three month period and not s whole lot of PE. I hit the training and diet on New Year's Day and things are moving slowly but I have lost a little. At 40 I'm not expecting the pounds to fly off but I'll keep you posted.

• Posted

Any update? I'm pretty p****d and depressed over this sudden weight gain

• Posted

Hi,

The same thing happened to me. Within 2 weeks of stopping the medication I put on 11 pounds.

• Posted

Hey I noticed you're the most frequent person to comment on this forum. I'm having the same issue. Probably gained about 15lbs in 2 months. Have you spoken to your doctor? I think I'm going to try taking the meds again and see what happens. Really depressing to gain so much even when living a healthy lifestyle.

• Posted

I lost 50 pounds over the past year. I was very pleased with my weight loss and felt good about myself but I was depressed and as I had taken Celexa in thepast asked my Dr. for a Rx. I started taking it the end of March and noticed I could not lose weight and in fact started to gain. I stopped taking it and since I jave gained 7 pounds. I am extremely upset over this as I have new clothes that are going to be too tight if this keeps up. I was prescribed 20 mg but was only taking 10. In desperation I took a 10 mg. today and will see what happens after a week or so. I am on a low carb high protein diet do not eat out except once a week and exercise A LOT! I do not think I could do anymore exercise than I do between walking, biking and water aerobics class without spending my entire day exercising. I am very upset over this. Has anyone else tried going back on the Celexa and if so has the weight gain stopped? Although I lost 50 pounds I still needed to lose 20 more poinds to be Normal weight if such a thing exsists for a 63 year old woman. I was technically overweight after the weight loss now an considered OBESE again and I am about to take the pipes. Any advice? This stuff is crap!
  • Posted

So what is happening now?

I can't eat enough sugar since I have stopped citalopam it's an hideous drug

• Posted

Hi Tamsin , it's been 9 months since I came off the tablets and I have been able to get down to my best weight again. Largely doing cardio and weights , and dieting. I never put a lot of weight on after coming off , I just generally never had to try whilst on the citaopram. Now I have to try a little. Hope this helps and good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.