Weight gain and atenolol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with microvascular angina. My blood pressure was sky high and I am being treated with ramipril 5mg, atenolol 50mgs and amlodipine 10mg. I am a fit 56 year old woman. I cycle 50 -70 miles a week and go to the gym twice a week. Since July last year and starting these meds I've put on 1 stone. Prior to this is lost 4 stone through weight watchers. I am still a member and follow their plan. I cannot seem to shift the eeight gain. Can this be the beta blockers side effects?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Now, that is hard to say.  I took similar meds for several years without weight gain, and then suddenly put on about the same amount (though I'm in the US and we don't tend to call it 1 stone!), and could not lose it.

?So I should first ask, how's your BP doing?

?Because then I'm going to change the topic on you.  After carrying around the extra weight for about two years I was lately diagnosed with - diabetes.  Once on the diabetes treatment (including a stricter diet and more exercise) I've been able to lose the weight.  AND with the diabetes treatment - I have been able to drop almost all the BP meds!  So make sure you get your blood sugar and A1C tested.

?In another direction, you don't list taking a diuretic medicine, which is frequently given along with the others you're on.  This may help reduce retained water weight, and I suppose could be a part of your situation - and might further help your BP, too, it sure did mine.

• Posted

I would say yes...I took bisoprolol then changed to atenolol. I gained 4 stone in 5 years. The beta blockers made me feel tired and I was sitting around much more. I found even walking difficult. I felt as though I was walking in treacle...as a result of lack of activity..I gained the weight. 

I’m not taking betablockers now but shifting the weight isn’t easy. As you know it’s calories in have to be less than calories out, 

i wonder if the betablockers also lower metabolic rate. If so then the calories in need to  be lowered even more. 

Good luck with the diet. I’m trying...5 lbs off..but it 2 weeks now. I want it off faster. Don’t we all? Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.