Weight gain and high blood pressure.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am currently on 50mcg levothyroxine two hours before breakfast. Second dose 25mcg 7pm . Two hours before dinner. My tsh has reduced from 18 to 7. But the symptoms of weight gain and high bp is still on. What can I do.

From Nkechi obi.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Find natural desiccated thyroid and take it. Synthetic is subpar
  • Posted

If you are in the UK, anything but Levothyroxine is not prescribed as far as I am aware, I would be interested in anyone who has managed to get a doctor to even talk about natural desiccated thyroid??
    • Posted

I wish I knew how to help you. There is no monetary gain in natural desiccated thyroid because it cannot be patented. I had a problem here in the US getting any doc to discuss or prescribe natural, so I looked up when was Synthroid created and there was an article about Synthroid and FDA....very interesting. Then I looked up why doctors won't prescribe natural desiccated thyroid and that's when the fun starts. There is so much money involved, you then understand why. I'm considering buying a house so ppl from Europe can stay with me and get medical help here. It's not right
  • Posted

I don't know if it's possible to naturally turn it around and come off the meds, but you can try. First, make sure your vitamin d is between 60-100. Second, and this is important, quit all gluten. No cheating. Check your ferritin. If you quit gluten, your body may recover. They are linking gluten to autoimmune disorders, cancer, bipolar....many ppl here with those conditions, their "good doctors" are having them eliminate gluten completely
  • Posted

Please be careful not to self-medicate.  If you do go down the natural product route, at least involve your doctor.  Some doctors in the UK may prescribe natural products, though this may only be on a private basis.  No NHS doctor or consultant will give you anything other than Levothyroxine.  You may get a different result by seeing somebody privately.  Whatever you do, please don't change your medication without your doctor knowing. 
  • Posted

Hi - I'm wondering why you take your meds in 2 parts? It really makes no difference as you are taking T4. This is not an actice hormone just a carrier ready to convert to T3. By your TSH I would guess you are still under medicated but without seeing the ranges used by the lab its hard to say. Do you have any other hypo symptoms besides weight gain and BP? Some peope have to get their TSH below 1 before they begin to feel well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.