Weight Gain and IBS

Posted , 16 users are following.

hey... i have been diagnosed with IBS and i have been suffereing with really bad symptoms for over year. In that time i have out on a stone and half in weight in this time despite no changes to my diet. Over the last 3 months i have beeb really strict with my diet watching everything i eat and drink and cutting out lots of things, i have also been exercising which i feel better for hoever the weight is not moving and i am having problems with the symptoms of IBS... does anyone else suffor from weight gain and can you help recommend anything...?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lynn it's a horrible feeling I've also tryed lots of things out of holland and barrets nothing working even for energy it's a horrible feeling I also get a lot of wind mostly in the morning
    • Posted

Go to your doctor and ask them-there is a medicine called Laxido (sometimes called Movicol or Macrogel) that can really help with the constipation-I had it for a while. Also, porridge really helps with the constipation and wind-it's what keeps things moving for me! I notice it when I don't eat my porridge, and bananas are also a help. If you put those together with the porridge and some honey it's a great breakfast.
  • Posted

What's your secret my bmi is too low?
    • Posted

If you eat more carbs you'll probably boost your bmi. Your body is probably in need of more energy than you're putting into it. xx
  • Posted

Hi Lynn

I've had digestive problems for years, but it got really bad in December last year, and I've been tested for almost everything. My symptoms include diarrhoea, reflux, extreme bloating and wind. I've put on more than 2 stone, which was incredulous as the diarrhoea and sickness was almost constant for 3 months??

I've now been referred to a gastroenterologist but have also been eating low FODMAP foods. The change in eating has made a massive difference to the symptoms, but I'm currently suffering again with an awful Bout of d&s because I'd eaten something that had high FODMAP ingredients hidden in it.

I'm hoping the gastroenterologist gets me back on track, but I've decided I will only eat foods I've prepared and cooked myself so that there aren't any hidden flavourings or thickeners that set off my symptoms.

IbS is the pits, especially the bloating which has meant all my beautiful clothes are too tight. But we have to keep trying to find a solution to our individual issues.

• Posted

Hey ... i know how you feel. i have am trying the FODMAP diet and so far it seems to be working it seems to be a case of trial and error with foods. I bring lots of fruit (from the FODMAP) to work for snacks throught the day and i by home time i am really bloated and windy and feel uncomtable. This week i reduce the fruit to one portion for breakfast and i have been much better. I find it hard sometimes not to feel down epecially when i eat a healthy diet and exercise and by the end of the week i have put another 1pound, the Drs are no help either its just a case of 'you have to live to with it' but it so hard i have found forums like this very useful and i am trying hard to not let have IBS-C to over my life and i am trying hard to take control of it. Best of Luck

• Posted

You too, Lynn!

I only ever suffer constipation when I'm doing low low carb diet. One thing that did help was the Muffin in Minutes that was always discussed on the atkins forums.

I'm not sure if the ingredients would be LOW FODMAP but they include flaxseed meal, butter (or oil), an egg, one sachet of sweetener, a square of dark chocolate and a small handful of prunes.

This used to help me go...without it becoming diarrhoea... but, in saying that, I didn't have such bad Ibs symptoms back then.

Let me know if this helps x

• Posted

Actually low carb diet isn't so bad. The Paleo diet is a low carb diet that can do wonders for IBS-C. Regretting coming off it, but it's expensive to maintain.....
    • Posted

From my experience be careful with the fruit,  I started to eat lots of fruit in an effort to lose weight.  I ended up with what has been diagnosed as possible IBS.  The consultant told me that I was suffering from fructose malabsorption,   I looked it up and apparently it is becoming an increasing probelm.  A decade or more ago our fructose consumption was approx 25% now after being told to eat 5/7/10 a day this has increased to over 80% and the liver can't cope with it.  After stopping eating fruit my symptoms almost disappeared and I instroduced certain fruits gradually but haven't risked too many as yet. I suppose it's a little of everything in moderation.  A friend's daughter has been very ill and has eventually been diagnosed with  excess Omega 6 consumption.

• Posted

Hello! Oh girl I feel you so much1 I have the same symptoms with you! I had recently a surgery in my stomach and after that the Ibs symptoms have started. When I eat carbs i get very bloated and windy..In 8 months I have gained 20 kg. I was 45kg when I had the surgery. When I tell to others that I count the calories and watch what I eat they do not believe me and they say that this is carzy..The truth is that this situation drives you in crazy! Had you found a solution, in order to help me?What do you reccomend me?

I am looking foward for your reply!

• Posted

Hi I suffered for moe than a year. Distended stomach, bloating, constipation, gas...I put on a stone in weight tried all types of diets cutting out all sorts of food it was utterly miserable. I saw two private doctors...the medications worked for a short while then the symptoms returned. I had a colon cleanse, put good bacteria back in...to no avail. Then I saw an ad at my gym for allergy testing and alternative medicine health checks. After an initial consultation and blood tests I found I had a baterial infection in my stomach, good bacteria non existent. I had a slight allergy to milk and wheat. I was placed on a strict diet of cutting out milk, wheat and all diary products save eggs. I was told to take berberine and grapefruit seed tablets twice a day for the infection. Capsule form probiotics and cod liver oil. Was told to eat plenty of leafy veg, oily Fish and meat. No bananas, no gasy veg, no peanuts (they are supposed to be inflammatory) and plenty of fluids. In two weeks I noticed an immediate change. Nearly three months into this regime I have never felt better, shed the extra weight, bloatedness gone, disgestive system is super efficient and I am over the moon. I  replaced milk with other substitutes and realised that there were lots of wheat alternatives on supermarket shelfs. I will never go back to old eating habits. Am still on the vitamins and because they are totally natural I can keep on them for as long as I want. I wanted to share this experience because I was so miserable for so long I didn't think I could ever get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.