weight gain and loss with mirtazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

this is my personal experience of weight gain and loss with mirtazapine.

i was taking mirtazapine for a total of 8 months, in the first 2 months i didn't gain any weight at all and thought i had got away with that perticular side effect, but no, in the last 6 months of taking it i put on a total of 21lb. sad as it turned out the symptoms i had wern't down to my anxiety so  decided to taper off the mirtazapine. i have been off it now for 2 months.i had slight withdrawal symptoms but nothing major and i'm now completely clear of the drug. so far in the last 2 months i have lost 7lb of the 21lb i put on. this has been done through diet though, people have said that the weight just drops off when you stop taking mirtazapine but i haven't found that, i have had to work at it. but i don't mind that. 7lb loss is stil half a stone of the weight i gained gone, i will keep going till the other 14lb (1 stone) has gone too no matter how it takes. and if i ever need medication again for my anxiety it will NOT be mirtazapine.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Gill,

How long did it take after you stopped taking mirtazapine for your appetite to go down/you were able to lose weight? I've been off the drug for about a week and my appetite isnt getting any better sad

• Posted

hi billie, it took around 4 weeks to get back to normal, in that first 4 weeks after stopping the tablet, i felt rough one minuet with no appetite at all then the next minuet i wanted to stuff my face again.. it was very erratic for a while, but it has levelled out now.. i have lost 8lb so far since i stopped taking it..but it has taken a proper calorie counting diet.. i wasn't lucky like some of the people where the weight just fell off.. but i don't mind as long as i lose the weight.x
    • Posted

Gill,

I've been feeling exactly the same way! I'll get really full, then a few hours later I'm starving! I'm glad you said things even out. I really worry about this. I'd be really happy if the weight would fly off, but like you said, at this point I'd be happy with any weight loss. Did you appetite continue to go down during the 4 weeks?

• Posted

yeah it gradually got back to normal over that time and now i have full control back again.. iv'e now lost 10lb in just over 2 months so not doing too badly.. i hope you get your control of it back quick so you can start getting the mirtazapine weight off.. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.