weight gain and Methotrexate

Posted , 37 users are following.

I have using methotreate for almost 3 months I am on 20 mg once a week.... and I have now gained 10lbs.... I was wondering if this a common side effect for others.....

thanks

4 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It seems to me that my weight gain with MTX is down to fluid.  I had to stop taking it recently and missed 3 doses.  I lost a stone!  

I'm taking it agian and the weight came back but, oddly enough, I have started to lose weight again.  I stopped taking Prednisolone on October 7th, so don't know whether that has anything to do with the current weight loss - long may it last!!

• Posted

From my experience, prednisolone increases appetite although sometimes I confuse the pain from excess acid for hunger n was eventually put on Omeprazole. Now I'm off steroids, I eat normal portions even though I'm on 20mg MTX.

The only side effect I've experience from taking MTX injection (I didn't have any with the tablets) are rashes which have left horrible scars all over my tighs n legs.

• Posted

I have been using Methotrexate for 30 months and have gained about 12lbs.

I am finding it difficult to loose this extra weight without cutting out almost everything.

I am on 15mg once weekly.

• Posted

Hey there. I was just looking on this forum to see if anyone has experienced the opposite when starting methotrexate as I've lot so much weight!

I've lost 12kg in about 8 weeks... I'm eating exactly the same amount and I've always exercise. The only thing that was changed is that I've started medication for my RA and also as a consequence reduced my alcohol consumption.

I can't help but think losing this much weight so quickly is not healthy!

Interested to see if anyone has had the same!

• Posted

Could be related to not drinking alcohol. I haven't had a drink since 2 weeks prior to starting MTX. I eat 1 meal a day but I've noticed that my jeans are a bit snug lately. Even without alcohol, and eating the same portions. But I can't est st all the day after I take the MTX. I take it on Wed nights so I will be well by the weekend.Supposedly....

• Posted

I've lost weight too! Only 4kg in about 8 wks since I've started. Taking prednisolone twice daily to manage. I have PsA. Can't imagine it's too healthy but the doctor says it's nothing to worry about yet.

• Posted

Yes ma'am i have also gained weight since starting my methotrexate! About 10lbs as well.

For me i have anyways fluctuated a few pounds and I'm active so it's been easy to lose in the past, but not now. I've tried eating veggies and meat and dropping the carbs and adding additional hiking and activities and NOPE NOTHING.

Still can't drop it.

I would love to stay in touch on here and see how our journeys go, and hear any other stories of people who have noticed the same thing.

I thought that WEIGHT LOSS was a side effect, not weight GAIN! WTH sad

• Posted

Figured i should add, i only take methotrexate. Once weekly, 15mgs. No other steroids for me.

I notice on my treatment day, my appetite is actually increased and i find myself wanting to eat more than normal.

Not so much on day 2 though.

• Posted

I, too, have gained weight since on 20 MG once per week. My Dr's think I'm eating more, but I'm actually eating less:-( I'm on no other steroids, but do take telmisartan/hci for high blood pressure.

• Posted

I have been taking methotrexate for about 10 years and realized about 10lb weight gain but don't rmember if it was all at once.  Two months ago, I began treating with an  amazing accupuncturist and am now off Methotrexate for 6 weeks and going strong. I have lost about 15lbs and feel wonderful. I wish I would have found this treatment 10 years and many blood tests ago.  Blessed to have found it now. Blessing to all RA sufferers!

• Posted

Hi, 

I'm going to start on MTX next week. How does it works for you? any uncomfortable side effects? I've just recently diagnosed after 2 months of RA symptomps sad .

Also, how many times do you have to see accupunturist for it begin to work? Are you able to be pain free with accupunture? Thanks

• Posted

MTX may be best for you, depending on how severed your inflamation is. Side affects are weight gain (Approx 12-15 lbs) hair loss,neuropathy in the feet and  liver toxicity. (I am sure there are others) You just have to weigh your problem with the side affects and make your own decision.  I did not stop MTX immediately but tapered off in 3 weeks and have been at accup about 10 weeks now. I started at 2 x week and now 1 x week and soon will

be every other week. For certain as I stated earlier, NEVER eat potatoes, tomatoes, egg plant or bell peppers, nothing spicy and no peanut butter. They cause inflamation. You can soak the troubled joint in warm/hot water a couple of times per day to increase the blood flow and take away the inflamation. Good Luck to you...it's been a journey but I am very happy now.

• Posted

Thank you for your answer... You've been living with RA for 10 years. Are you able to go to work? I won't be able to afford my medical bills if I don't work sad

• Posted

oh yes, I live on a farm and ride horses regularly. I am 67
    • Posted

Just now finding this & very curious if acupuncture is still enough treatment for you.?? Recently attempting same - no MTx in 6 months started accupuntire 3 mo ago but don't know anyone else trying this.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.