weight gain and Methotrexate

Posted , 37 users are following.

I have using methotreate for almost 3 months I am on 20 mg once a week.... and I have now gained 10lbs.... I was wondering if this a common side effect for others.....

thanks

4 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've been using methotrexate 20mg a week for the last 10 weeks and have noticed a slight weight gain I feel I should of lost weight as I've cut out alchol obviously and usually when I did In the past I'd lose alot more. It's like my body is tipping slightly more to the fat side of things but not overly too much. I've and autoamune disease, uveitis (6 years) so dunno if that's anything to do with it.I've also been on pred forte for the last 6 years to without fail. Anyone else out there with similar eye problems. ???

• Posted

When my RA was really active I was losing weight. started Mtx 7 months ago and am gaining weight. My eating never changed and I don't eat a lot. Will go back to no carbs and see if I can shed thes pounds!  At least I don't feel crazy- nothing on the side effects talks about weight gain!!!

• Posted

I've gained 3 stone!  I'm due to start Otezla (a recent biosimilar drug for psoriatic arthritis instead of an anti-TNF) which has a side effect of weight loss - I live in hope!

• Posted

Hi, I started with pills and lost a bit of weight but went up to injections (20/week) and started gaining, we switched to injections because the side effects were horrible, then I (working in the health field) discovered a trial where Oil of Oregano(has to be 80% carcavrol min) used in mice on chemo reduced liver toxicity, and I know they sell it for humans for colds etc and it does help with UTI'a so I tried it... and low and behold I lost the weight, the headaches and muscle aches I was getting on day 2 after the injection are almost gone and I am not catching every little sniffle that passes! There is not a single other natural remedy out there that I would think twice about, but this, It's definitely worth trying.

• Posted

Did you lose weight because you started taking Oil of Oregano(has to be 80% carcavrol min)? Or is it because you started taking Oil of Oregano(has to be 80% carcavrol min) and was able to stop the methotrexate?
  • Posted

Hi carrieann I started mtx six weeks ago and I can not loss weigh. I only take 15mg at the mo once a week. I eat less and still stay same.

Bel35

• Posted

I too thought I should lose weight which I was looking forward to after being on prdnisone for 3 months.  I've been on metholtrexate now or about the same amount of time low dose 10 mg a week and my stomach is huge.  I take folic acid daily (when I don't forget).  Will have to stop taking methotrexate for a few weeks now because of low WBC.  I robably won't go back on it.  Either the folic acid or meth causes me headaches and I don't know that it's doing much for for my arthritis --- back to the drawing board I guess.  Thanks to all who posted about the weight gain.  I wondered what was going on.

• Posted

Sadly, yes this has been a side effect for me and I've only taken 2 doses (20mg). I don't have any nausea.

• Posted

I am on Methotrexate for the past three years and have gained about 12lbs, I gained this weight almost as soon as I started taking the drug but have managed to not gain anymore weight.

I find it almost impossible to loose any of the 12lbs I gained no matter how much I exercise or how little I eat. I hope that once I get off the drug I will loose the 12lbs.

thanks

• Posted

I live in the u.s. and I started Methotrexate last November. I have gained 20 lbs and I'm at my wit's end. Like you, my doctor says it doesn't make people gain weight but I have found too many sites like this they claim otherwise. Like others, I tried eat next to nothing and I still cannot stop. The only time I lose weight is if I eat next to nothing and hardly any carbs. I may lose a pound or two, but then it comes right back on. I take Methotrexate because I had severe psoriasis, but I am starting to think I'd rather live with the psoriasis I cannot believe that doctors do not understand this. I am wondering if it is the insurance companies that do not want patience to be able to try newer and more expensive treatments for psoriasis.

• Posted

Sorry for the typos, I used the mic without editing for typos. wink
  • Posted

Hi new to the thread trying to see if there's anyone out there who did not experience thinning or loss of hair on methotrexate injection?? 

• Posted

I have been on 25 mg of methotrexate injections for about 4 months now. Prior to being on the injections was on pill form of methotrexate and before that plaquinel (had severe reaction of blood not clotting and reduced liver function).

I was on a doctor supervised weight loss program and worked out 5 days /week and had lost 15 lbs, once started the methotrexate I jections gained 10 lbs within first 2 weeks and then another 4 lbs along the way.

I only eat 1000 calories per day plus work out 5 - 6 days per week and cannot lose any weight.

I also now only have 2 - 3 drinks per week, down from about 12 per week.

The inflammation in my joints has reduced by about 85% which is awesome as I could not workout at some points due to the pain and inflammation.

• Posted

I've been on methotrexate for only 1 month. I'm taking. 15 milligrams per week and I've gained 6 lbs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.