Weight gain following gallbladder removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi- another question- is it true that people tend to gain weight following gallbladder surgery? I've been reading on another site that the typical gain is 10lbs, and that frequent bloating is also an issue.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Well, my surgery was June 30, and the first month I actually lost 7 lbs.  But I think it was because I was really watching what I ate because of all the posts about eating low fat and easy to digest food.  However once I figured out I can now eat anything I want, I gained it all back.... BUT no additional weight so far.  I only had bloating the first two weeks post op.  I didn't have the typical gallbladder symptoms- just terrible nausea- didn't even know it was gallbladder until my lab work showed elevated enzymes, and the CT scan showed it was my gallbladder.  I feel so much better after surgery!

• Posted

I'm 2 1/2 wks post op and I've lost 12 lbs. I have been keeping my diet pretty low fat, but haven't been extra hungry. I'm hoping that this continues- I am feeling much better since my surgery.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth. I am 4 months post and I have not gain a pound. I would love 5+ more pounds. In fact I have lost weight. Best of luck!
  • Posted

Hello, I had my gallbladder surgery 6 weeks ago and have lost alot of weight since it, I think people only gain weight as they go to extremes with eating fatty foods as they couldn't properly before, I've made sure I've stuck to a good diet and the weight has dropped off.

• Posted

Hi, i read an interesting blog written by a surgeon sometime ago on the internet saying there was no physiological reason why you would gain weight after removal of the gallbladder. It said, as Sarah above mentioned, that some people just start to consume large quantities of the high fat foods that they avoided before the op.
    • Posted

THank you. One finds so much conflicting information- generally the doctors seem to be very positive about the results of Gallbladder Removal, but some of the patient experiences sound worrying!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.