Weight gain from carbamazepine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've gained weight constantly since starting carbamazepine 5 years ago for my Trigeminal neuralgia, and cannot seem to lose it no matter what I do. Has anyone had the same problem?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

YES and it's driving me bonkers!!

The most annoying thing is that I've told my neuro that it's making me gain weight and she is adamant that it doesn't cause weight gain THEN she tells me i need to lose weight its like HOW chop of a limb??!!

I eat all freshly prepared meals very little junk food and try to stick to good portion sizes my yet I'm going up and up in weight it's embarrassing as I know that when I say what I eat people will probably be thinking whatever you liar! I actually eat less than most people but this stupid drug is so annoying but also amazing. sigh

I don't know what else to do about it really as coming off it means dying of TN until i find another med.

Have you spoke to your dr/neuro about it?

Xx

• Posted

Omg I'm so glad to hear its not just me (well, not glad of course that you're going through it, but you know what I mean!).

I've spoken to my GP about it and she did say that it was a side effect, but that could mitigate by exercise and good diet. Well i work out everyday, and like you, I really try to watch what I eat but I seem to put on even more weight!

It's frustrating. I don't really know what else to do....

• Posted

It's definitely not just you and I'm sorry you are experiencing it it's so frustrating. The side effects clearly need reviewing with these meds. I have found them so helpful for my TN which is the only reason i still take them. If you find the answer do let me know!

Xx

• Posted

Yes I have the same problem.I have been on Carbamazepine for about 18 months and have gained 25 pounds. I don't seem to be able to lose it, but still trying. I'l take the weight gain over the pain anyday.

• Posted

Yes, of course anything is better than the pain! It's just frustrating that no amount of trying works to lose the weight....

• Posted

Ive been on Lyrica since 2008. When I started taking it I weighed 125lbs and now I weigh 165lbs. I know it's the lyrica because every time the dosage goes up, so does my weight. I've always been thin (125lbs was actually much heavier than I had ever been in my life) so to weigh 165 makes me feel like I'm in someone else's body! Like I said, every time the dosage is raised I can expect to gain 15 to 20 lbs over a one year period.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.