Weight gain/loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

I contracted PMR in August 2019. I am down to 3.5mg a day but am struggling to reduce further. I have just started the slow tapering as mentioned on this site and so far so good.

Does anyone know how low I need to go before some of the weight gain will start to disappear or do I need to be off completely before that happens?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Weight gain is a result of increased appetite due to steroids and lower activity level due to PMR. Since you have no control over how much steroids you need ( PMR is in control), you can only change how much calories you expand. I am in my 6th year of PMR and have actually lost weight due to increased level of exercise while still taking steroids.

If for some reason that is not an option, then some people try to reduce carbohydrate intake or replace "fast", easy digestible carbs with "slow"one with more fiber to reduce weight gain.

• Posted

Check with the HealthUnlocked forum (PMRGCAuk) which is much more active than this one.Just google HealthUnlocked.

Lots of people avoid the weight gain altogether by severely reducing "white" and refined carbs. You can also lose weight already gained by doing same, rather than hoping pred taper alone will do it all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.