Weight gain/loss and taking MM

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, Do you have experience with weight gain/loss when taking/stopping MM (Methimazole) for GD? How do you use it for a guide of taking med? For my theory/experience, when developing/acquiring GD, it would be a down road to weight loss. After taking MM, if effective, it would turn up and gain weight. However, if it gets to the point of euthyroid, MM could be drop... then what happens to your weight? If continuing to gain/maintain weight, do not re-taking MM?  If starting to lose weight again, time to resume MM?  In other words, can it, weight loss/gain, be a gauge for taking/dropping MM -- when the blood test is unavailable?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Mike 

Personally 

I did not have a problem with weight I did slowly before diagnosis put on a few pounds .. and never moved an ounce  up or down .. my Endo told me this was also common with Graves  Disease 

However  when I try my best to move those few extra pounds ... 

by eating very well and eating no rubbish whatsoever ..

I cannot shift them..

Even now ... Euthyroid .. I still cannot ..  my family aunts siblings nieces ex  .. all have had big weight gains and find it very hard

To move it ..

Research all you can about your metabolism and how Graves affects it ... therein lies your answer I'm sure ..

I'm sure that you already eat sensibly  because of your illness 

Don't forget carbs are likely your enemy ..

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Oh, yeah. I do see that GD's symptoms include both weight gain and weight loss... just wonder how does the theory go with hyper-high metabolism for those people who would gain weight? Anyway, my inquiry is not about how to deal with the weight loss/gain problem, but if possible to use measured weight loss/gain as a hint of high/low thyroid levels when blood test timely unavailable. Thanks

• Posted

Sorry I can't help you there Mike ... all I've learned is that

....as we are all so very different in our lives ,

so also ,

are we different in our Graves' disease symptoms !

I.e. No 2 people seem to me to suffer in exactly the same way 

And so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it all

It takes time I've learned after becoming Euthyroid,  for things to settle ... as there are still Thyroid Hormones in abundance  

Within our system 

But given time it will settle ... that , 

I believe is through supplementing with the appropriate nutrients vitamins and minerals .,

M🌹

• Posted

Hi Madge, Thank you for your thoughts and advice. May I add to the supplements with dietary change, herbs, and life change for the better of our ill condition.
  • Posted

Any changes Mike,  that you make towards healing your Thyroid Gland and calming your immune system would inevitably go towards  improving your health and your life ... and I for one , am right into THAT idea too

...  that is why I daily do all I can to NEVER GO BACK  to that awful period in my life where Graves' disease was robbing me of my health and  making me wish I could lie down and sleep forever .. so that I would not be afraid  if something that was so awful.

I've been very lucky that I did not have tumours  or nodules or such like ..   only antibodies .. Graves Antibodies .. and I may still have some ... but I am returning my body to where is was before this 

Immune system went altogether 

Crazy leaving me bewildered and in great pain .. pain I no longer have .

Good luck mike

M🌹

• Posted

Thank you, Madge, for encouraging all of us by sharing your experience.
    • Posted

for you Mike ...  💐  Get well very soon ....

Mx🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.