Weight Gain & Menopause?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 49 and finished menopause about a year ago. In the past 1.5 years I have put on 43 lbs despite eating less, exercising the same and not making any other changes that could affect my weight such as medication. The only consolation in this is that prior to gaining all of this weight I was very thin (100 lbs) so I look 'plump' rather than really big but at 5' 3" tall, 143 lbs is really not a healthy weight for me.

My thyroid levels are fine and all else is okay. I know that metabolism slows down (gradually) as people age but I think that 43 lbs in under 2 years is a bit insane. I have not gained additional weight but am having a hard time losing it.

Has anyone else found themselves gaining a sizeable amount of weight during perimenopause or after menopause?

Second question: I am not on HRT but am considering it. For those who opted for HRT, did it cause weight gain? That is about the last thing I need right now.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I lost weight but i'm still in perimenopause . So far Ive gone 4 months without a period. If my period would not have come back after almost 8 months this would have marked my 12th month ... You said you look "plump" at 100 lbs. I'm just a couple of lbs over and look too thin. I can't stand how i look now. I only wished that I could gain a few pounds. The loss makes me feel weak and fraile. Have you tried changing your diet?

• Posted

Have you tried a personal trainer. it worked well for me. Also i find small things like eating enough protein and not counting calories but looking at nutrition info to make sure i am getting enough protein, healthy fats etc really helpful.

• Posted

Hi! I was just like you... I am 5'2" and weighed 143. I was 50 years old and in the heat of menopause...I was trying to eat right, work out and then I would get on the scale and GAIN weight....ugh! so frustrating.

I decided to go radical and go vegan. I lost 30 pounds and feel so freaking good. I am now 55 years old. No more counting calories and fat grams! I try to walk everyday...but no more gym. I am off all my medications which I know made it harder to lose weight. I eat a whole foods, plant-based diet which means no meat or dairy. I also stay way from processed vegan foods which still have fat and added salt.

I wish I would have done this sooner...please let me know if you have any questions...I am here to help!

• Posted

Oh wow this is awesome!!!My friend went vegan too and looks great.. How do you get a lot of protein in? protein shake?I need to eat protein to stay full-- yes avocados (to stay full) help but I don't want them everyday. Do you drink a lot of coffee? Usually the coffee helps with hunger..

• Posted

Hi! There is a ton of protein in beans and dark leafy greens!

Animals eat plants... that is how they get their protein. Meat-eater gets protein by eating the animal. Vegans bypass the animal and go straight to the source!

If you have Netflix, you should watch "The Game Changers"... they discuss this and other great info in a very cool way!

I only drink one cup of coffee a day. I used to drink 3-4...but I have so much more energy after changing my diet. When it comes to hunger.... I eat a variety of grains, beans fruit and veggies - I eat 3 large meals and 3 snacks a day and I am satisfied. It takes your body 6 weeks to detox ... if you can push through...you will not crave stuff like you did before and your taste buds will change and everything will taste SO good! I am living proof!!!

Let me know if you have any more questions! 😉

• Posted

What about chocolate and sweets? Don't you crave for them? What do you have for breakfast if you don't mind sharing. I really admire your strength and change. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.