Weight gain... Metabolism or just overreating?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My god the apetite on mirtazepine is crazy! I just had a lunch break and whilst I was walking around 3 shops trying to look for some frozen chicken so I can prepare my lunches in advance to prevent myself buying snacks, I BOUGHT 5 CHOCOLATE BARS! It's like I turn into a monster and willpower alone can't stop until that sugar is down my throat!

Anyway, it's only day 4 of mirtazepine so i'm hoping this will settle and I can control this. 

But my question is, is it a matter of just overreating that you put on weight or is does it slow down your metabolism?

For me a part of my depression is hating my body and I can get very obsessive over weight as I used to be bigger when I was younger... 

I'm trying to control it by preparing breakfasts and lunches in advance and making sure I go to sleep immediately after I take the medication as for me, this is when my food cravings are at their worst!

Any tips anyone??? I've heard of Xenicol, and that might work

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam

I am afraid it is simply down to eating more.........I dont think it affects metabolism. It is well known that certain anti depressants work on improving appetite for IBS sufferers. For everybody else it just improves appetite where it isnt needed.

Just eat the amount you would normally eat and you wont put on weight!

• Posted

Personally I believe that mirtazapine can increase your appetite, especially for sweet things - as you've found. Also it can give you a dry mouth, which makes you crave something tasty. I've had this effect particularly, but I try to relieve it with drinks ( not sugary pop). I haven't gained weight in the 6 years I've been on mirtazapine so it isn't inevitable. So it seems to me it does come down to a matter of willpower.
  • Posted

Mirtazapine does give you a ravenous appetite with cravings that are very difficult to control, especially to begin with. But it also lowers your metabolism for the first few months (though this does right itself after around 6 months). So even if you eat exactly what you did before mirtazapine you MAY put on weight (I say 'may' because not everyone does). But the majority of the weight you gain is because of the increased appetite it gives you.

So all that sounds pretty scary, eh? It certainly was for me and I was shocked that I had gained a stone and a half after 6 months and so tried to come off it. But don't panic. Here's what I've learned:

You most probably will put on weight in the first few months on mirtazapine. There is not much point in fighting it except to rein in your eating as much as possible by ordering your groceries on line, so you are not tempted by all the chocolate bars. DO NOT BUY ANY CHOCOLATE. Make that a rule. Because if you haave it in the house you WILL eat it.

After a few months, probably around 6 - 10 months, your boody will have fully adjusted to the mirtazapine and its metabolism will have pretty much returned to normal. Now is the time to diet. You must count all your calories including any drinks and work out how many calories you need each day. Just google calorie calculator - I can't put a link on this site. And then diet. You will lose the weight as fast as anyone else who is not on mirtazapine. I have lost more than half the weight I have put on and am feeling fantastic. The weight is coming off me steadily each weight. Another user on here posted that she has lost four stone whilst on mirtazapine.

You will always really enjoy your food whilst on mirtazapine, but the cravings do get more controllable. It's a great drug for depression and sleep, and if you can just get over that first six months, then weight loss is as easy as without. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your detailed response smile that was helpful and makes me feel a little less turned off by the weight gain especially knowing someone has halfed the weight they have put on! Well done I must add! :D

But tell me, is the weight gain (and potential self loath) worth it, as in has mirtazepine helped regarding your anxiety and depression? I understand everyone's different but i'm interested to know smile has it worked for you? if so, how does that feel? 

• Posted

Yes, it has definitely been worth it. Even if I couldn't lose the weight it would have been worth it. I tried a number of other anti depressants and none of them suited me. Mirtazapine has helped with physical things too such as my allergies, my IBS and my migraine as well as make me a lot happier. It does not suit everyone though.
  • Posted

Positive vote for mirtazapine from Pixie too. It definitely helped me, saved my sanity and gave me back my life, when other antidepressants were either unsuitable or had stopped working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.