Weight gain on Amtriptyline

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taken amitriptyline for about 4 years for hormonal headaches migraines. I started on 10 mg and over the years and now on 150mgs, well stopped last night. My weight has been gradually going up over this time, and I have only realised it must be the medication I am 2 stone over weight now. Anyone else had is problem or is it in my mind? Thank you Tracey

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Tracey

I take the stuff for Nuro damage and was on 75mg, now I have reduced it to 50mg.

I also take other medications, like Citalopram and I am now near on twenty stone so yes I feel AD s make us pile the weight on, although I have no choice I would love an answer to this problem as I have tried every diet this side of heaven.

Mind I am supposed to be nice and cuddly

BOB

• Posted

Hi Tracey

?I do hope that you didn't suddenly stop Amitriptyline....there can be some awful withdrawals after being on 150mg and 4 year's use. You may by now be experiencing some of these and wondering what is wrong with you? Drugs like this need to be tapered down slowly over a period of time and your GP should have advised you about this. Also, the leaflet does tell patients it is not advisable to stop suddenly. I understand you not wishing to gain any more weight (and this is certainly a side effect of this drug) but please do not shock your central nervous system which relies heavily on this being in your system and will react very badly to having this crutch suddenly taken away. If you are reacting to sudden withdrawal it might be best for you to start taking, say, 100mg daily to stabilise your nervous system and then slowly come down weekly by 10% - this can be done by opening the capsule and putting the contents into the same ml of water as it is water soluble. So 100ml of warm water to 100mg capsule and mix. You will need to buy a syringe from Amazon of 100ml and extract just 10ml of liquid out of your mix and dispose of it. Thus you will be taking 90mg. Give it a week or so to stablise any withdrawal and then take 20ml out of your dose. You continue this until you feel able to stop completely. Hopefully, you can follow this as it will be very helpful for you to withdraw slowly. Rest assured that Amitriptyline, Gabapenten and Pregabalin do cause weight gain, possibly by tricking the body into feeling hungry more than usual and of course, if we eat more, gradually the weight will pile on. You should find you lose this weight naturally and with a bit of help from a diet plan as well, get back to your normal ';Happy' weight. I wish you all the best.

Lizzie smile

• Posted

I have been on this for months and yes my weight in going up and up. I take this for depression and pain so will need to look at thiswith my pharmacist daughter.
    • Posted

Hi Ali

Amitriptyline is commonly used for both pain, depression, insomnia and such. Many users say it works for them but there are questions about its long term effects as the body/brain ages.

Its other problem can be severe withdrawal symptoms if you feel the need to come off it, as many do when it loses its capabilities.

It is very well known - not for all, but moreso for females - that it helps put on weight by increasing cravings for sweet foods/drinks. It doesn't need emphasising here what this can lead to.

I used it briefly for pain and insomnia but it disagreed with me so gave it up before it took a hold. By the way, it's said to be a non-addictive drug but for lots of users among these posts and on other forums, it clearly is very addictive!

I've been on an addictive sleeping drug - Nitrazepam - for over 50 years, prescribed for disturbed sleep due to lower back pain. The drug has lost most of its sleep benefit but the pain is still there.

I decided to slowly taper off the drug tablets, by methodically reducing by such tiny amounts that the brain wouldn't notice. It's not possible  by breaking off bits of tablet by hand alone. I bought an electronic jewellers scales (about £12 online) that measures in increments of .001 (one thousandth) of a milligram, so possible to very accurately reduce nightly, without withdrawal effects. You need to calculate your own plan of reduction to allow several months, depending on size of dose withdrawing from. Your GP could help you calculate this. Obviously if using capsules these can be titrated using water although accuracy depends on how well you measure this. To avoid withdrawal symptoms it's important to do it slowly in small reductions over as long a period as possible.

For a sleep aid I am using an OTC med called 5-HTP. It's a herb that boosts serotonin in the brain, a known amino acid that enhances sleep. 5-HTP has no known serious side effects although for some it causes nausea, and it may not work for all. It does for me, with no side effects.

For nerve pain (lower back in my case) I'm using capsicum/capsaicin. It comes in a cream, applied to the painful place(s) very sparingly, because it brings heat to wherever it's applied. Important not to get it accidentally on face or any sensitive area, although it won't damage but it gets tingling hot. It's an ingredient from chilli peppers!

How does it work? It penetrates deep into the nerves, blocking their pain signals to the brain! For me, this now lets me sleep through the small hours without being woken up as I used to be. 5-HTP is giving me better quality sleep, and I have tapered off my sleeping drug by 40% so far, over 3 months, so stll another 4 or 5 months to go to rid myself of an addictive drug that's dominated me for 50 years.

I hope what I've described is of some help with your (or anybody else's) sleep/pain/drug withdrawal problems. My advice is, whenever possible avoid drugs, as long term they make matters worse, not better.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that 5-HTP is also capable of helping reduce weight. This is because it suppresses hunger, and in particular the cravings for sweet foods. Again this varies from person to person. Do your own research if thinking of using it.
    • Posted

I have just joined this forum today and I've been reading all the posts about Amitriptyline and I'm so glad I'm not alone in feeling weight gain and odd!! Last night was my 1 1/2 dosage ( I take 50 mg one night and 30 mgish the next night) and I feel terrible this morning and I am positive that in my case Amitriptyline is addictive but it will be worth it to feel better again!

• Posted

I have been on amitritlyline for 15 years and went from 10 stone to 21 stone now , I saw my doctor two days ago and she has changed my dosage from 50 mg to 25 mg but gave me double just incase I get bad side effects so going to start the 25mg fro few weeks then she said she can then try me on 10mg , I can’t wait to see the weight comming off , I will keep this form up dated guys good luck xxx
  • Posted

I have been on 75 mg of Amitriptyline for years for depression and I went from a size 12 to 20. I've also been feeling very spaced out for a while now so I decided I needed to cut my dosage down. I've tried slimming and swimming but I'm lucky if I lost 1/2 lb a week! Since going from 75 mg to 50 mg a night 6 weeks ago I've lost 7lb. I'm hoping to get my dosage down to 25 mg a night but I know it will take a while but I'm going to do it as I can't stand being so much overweight and feeling "odd" all the time. It's time to get rid of so much medication but it's hard, however, I know I will do it. Hope you feel better soon Tracey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.