Weight Gain on Losartan!

Posted , 34 users are following.

Hi all, I am a 56 year old female who has always been on the slim side. Since taking Losartan (after awful side effects on Ramipril and

Amolopodine) I have found that I have put on a lot of weight. my GP warned me about swollen ankles but they didn't swell, my legs certainly have though. i have put on over 2 stones and am constantly hungry. My joints are extremely painful and my feet are very painful. I am waiting for a podiatrist appt to discover what can be done with my feet. I have been diagnosed with an aniexty disorder but wonder whether the Losartan are making that worse too. I'm beginning to feel really depressed and have been tempted to just ditch the Losartan altogether but am scared due to my high blood pressure. I would be very grateful to hear from anyone else who has experience similar side effects from Losartan. I take 50mg every evening. Thanks for your time

7 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I have the same side effects as you Wendy.  I would say the main ones are a permanent anxious feeling in my chest, a real sore feeling in the top of my chest on breathing, cramp in my feet and problems with heat in my lower legs at night.  I will follow your thread with interest.  Please let us know if you find a med that doen't have these awful side effects. x
    • Posted

Hi Pam, Thanks for your post. Have you tried any other meds or have you always been on Losartan? i recognise the anxious feeling in chest, as though something awful is going to happen. I am not getting the cramp but had that very bad while on Ramipril. There seem to be a variety of other men's but I've had 4 different ones now and they all made me feel terrible. Ramipril made me cough and choke and have the most awful sleep disturbances. That along with the cramp was too much to bear. I have a full time job in the city and its hard enough to keep it together some days without suffering all these side effects.  I'm going to take a self reading of my BP at the doctors soon - this goes through to my doctor. I'm scared about the dangerous side of high BP but my doctor doesn't think I'm due for a stroke yet but a strong contender in the future. Once while my doctor was taking my reading, he asked me to stop talking as "it doesn't like it when you talk". I realised my BP shot up when I spoke so maybe I shouldn't talk much! I will let you know how I get on. 
  • Edited

I have been reading about magnesium supplement being an alternative to BP meds.  I am going on holiday for 3 weeks so I am coming off my meds and giving it a try.  I will take my bp testing machine with me and keep an eye on my stats.

I will let you know how it goes. x

• Edited

Hi Pam, Thanks for sharing - I hadn't heard about this alternative. Imagine if it worked! Have a great holiday, I look forward to hearing how the readings go. 
    • Posted

Hi Pam, Hope you had a great holiday - how did the magnesium supplement go?
  • Posted

Hi Wendy.  I take both Losarton and Amlopodine and have put on five inches on my waist since starting.  When I went for a check up a nurse suggested coconust water.  It is expensive but works just as well as Losarton.  Also lots and lots of exercise works well.  Amlopodine does cause anxiety
  • Posted

Hello!! This is my second time being back on Losartan. (Due to health insurance reason) I gained weight, felt anexity worsen, horrible back pain, and have a hard time trying to sleep! The only blood pressure pill that really worked for me is Benicar! But it is just soo expensive! I lost weight with Benicar and felt much better. But now coming back on Losartan, I feel so much worse and have already gained weight and wake up in tears because of my back pain. I don't know what else to do at this point. My BP still averages around 140/98. I am glad I am not the only one going through these struggles. Heart dieases runs strong in my family-- and I am only 35.
    • Posted

Hi garcia,

I don't have any health insurance either.  140/98 is fairly good actually.  I just have to re-iterate to try and use all non-drug methods to get the BP down.  If you take Magnesium and Potassium with the Losarton (it doesn't block Calcium) things go a little better.  I would also swear by Nattokinase.  It is just great and works wonderfully on fibroids too.

• Edited

I have been taking Losartan for about 2 months and had seen a slight weight increase... until this past week.  4 to 5 pounds in the first month or so, and now I am suddenly up about 5 pounds over a 2 week period, with no real change in eating or exercise.  I found this discussion again and wanted to say that I am going to stop this drug and transition to natural methods of dealing with high BP and not subject myself to this anymore.  I have swollen ankles, bloating, and the weight gain that seems to be coming out of no where.  My doctor won't really believe this is going on, but will be happy to switch me to something else in the pharmaceutical line-up. 

• Posted

It's really easy to control BP with natural methods.  Just exercise a little.  Don't eat salt, have lots of fruit and veg and Ziko cocunut water.  I believe that doctors have brought the recommeneded BP down to 120/80 just to give the drug companies more sales.  I50/100 is perfectly safe.

• Posted

Emily, it might be easy for some people to control their raised BP with natural methods, but this most certainly does not apply to everyone.  For instance, I don't eat salt, have lots of fruit and veg daily, drink plenty of water and keep active, but I still have high BP.  Some people have a genetic predisposition to high blood pressure, whilst others have health conditions that can lead to high blood pressure.  On top of this some people have to take certain drugs for their health conditions which in itself can lead to high blood pressure needing treatment with BP meds.

In a similar vein, whilst 150/100 might be safe for some, it certainly might not be for others, especially that diastolic figure, so it is a little unwise to state that "150/100 is perfectly safe".

• Edited

Hi Wndy

I have been on these pesky pills on and off for the past 20years.

I have tried all the other BP meds but they all give me nasty side effects.

I am off Losatan at the moment and I lost 4ibs in the first weeks and then 2lb on the 2nd and 3rd week.  My weight usually levels out by the 4 week mark.

This happens every time I stop taking them so the conclusion is

"Losartan cause weight gain"   the doctors don't believe us but I am living proof.

• Posted

Yes, I really just take my BP medications on vacation now with all the salty food, and when my BP hikes with family spats.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.