Weight Gain on Losartan!

Posted , 34 users are following.

Hi all, I am a 56 year old female who has always been on the slim side. Since taking Losartan (after awful side effects on Ramipril and

Amolopodine) I have found that I have put on a lot of weight. my GP warned me about swollen ankles but they didn't swell, my legs certainly have though. i have put on over 2 stones and am constantly hungry. My joints are extremely painful and my feet are very painful. I am waiting for a podiatrist appt to discover what can be done with my feet. I have been diagnosed with an aniexty disorder but wonder whether the Losartan are making that worse too. I'm beginning to feel really depressed and have been tempted to just ditch the Losartan altogether but am scared due to my high blood pressure. I would be very grateful to hear from anyone else who has experience similar side effects from Losartan. I take 50mg every evening. Thanks for your time

7 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Wendy

I'm 48 and I've put on 2 stone since taking lorsartan

I swim 80 lengths a week, eat healthy and my blood pressure is still on average 150/102

Lorsartan are the 4th type of meds I've been prescribed as previous meds didn't improve my blood pressure and made me ill.

Before lorsartan my weight was easy to control, but now my ankles swell and are so painful.

I hate what I see in the mirror and how painful walking can be.

I am going to see my GP as this medication hadn't helped my blood pressure and is messing my body up.

medsmeds

• Edited

Hi Wendy, 

thank god for the Internet is all I can say, I've been on blood pressure tablets for a number of years now and have been taking losartan for about 18 months /2 years, prior to that I was taking Ramipril. I was changed from ramipril due to a persistent cough. I have over the time I've been taking the losartan gained about 3 stone, mainly in my legs and boobs, I am currently attending a weight loss group slimming world and whereas previously I have easily lost weigh when eating healthy I now find myself having to stick ridgidly to plan and have only lost a lb or nothing each week which yes this is a loss but even in the first week I stayed the same which is redicilous. I also seem to be suffering with depression and anxiety which with a high pressure managerial job is not good, I get tired to the point of exhaustion and then go to bed only to wake a few hours later. I do suffer with some joint pain and particularly in my thumbs where I seem to have poor grip and can't write for long periods. 

I try to exercise, something I don't mind doing but of late I appear to have a real shortness of breath and then when I then attend my weight loss group and don't have a loss I think what's the point - vicious circle, although it's good to read others are in the same boat as I thought I was going mad I now hope to look for alternative medicines to help with the bloood pressure. 

• Posted

That's interesting, Jeni010, apart from gaining a little weight, even tho eating less, losartan has caused me breathlessness to the extent i went to A and E, minors - they thought it could be an allergic reaction, and, interestingly, even tho i cut the dose back, i then got itchy eyes, and than itchy back, i do get allergies, and had a lot of skin problems on lisinopril.  The breathlessness puts up my bp when i try to exercise!!  Terrible tiredness, and backache started.    Tapering off now as other side effects.  Wondered if you were still on losartan?

• Edited

Yes I have never been fat but 10-12 lbs after losarton
  • Posted

hi to wendy02361 and all of the contributors. Thank you all for your input coz high BP is a foreign entity for me and a little disconcerting...I'm 75, male, farm background (both organic and GMO) and really have had no dealings with high BP.

I have been a schol bus driver for 2 years in Oklahoma and passed a physical each year.

I moved to a new district and thru the hiring process was required to take the usual physical (DOT this time) and out-of-nowhere the lowest reading was 128/100....and the dr. will not ok my driving w/o meds. I contacted my VA doctor and she prescribed Losartan 50MG, taking 1 each day. The VA has been good to me and I have faith in it but as mentioned, we all know our bodies pretty good and what seems to work. I have not experienced any side effects, yet.  I did gain 40 lbs from driving the bus the past 2 years and no excercise so back to the gym.   I'm not a gym person per se' (working on the farm I had natural excercise) and I work out 1 hour every-other-day but it is a little discouraging when I don't lose weight...I have been taking vitamins for forever and now with the Losartan possibly contributing, I hesitate to even get on the scales...I have thot for a long time that vitamins can cause weight gain, at least water retention. 

It ain't easy to ignore doctor advise, particularly when challenged by a "new" ailment, but with your help I now have a much clearer idea of what to deal with.

Swelling legs are an other chapter....thank y'all. larry g 

• Edited

Hi Wendy, I've just found your post - thank you (and everyone else) for writing, the posts read like my own experiences. 

I was urged by a friend who had a BPmonitor to visit my GP.  Beginning (Amlodipine 10 mg experience: swollen ankles and wrists ) (combination of (a) idapamide 1.5 and (b) lercanidipine still high BP, then Ramipril 2.5mg, take with (a) and stop taking (b)  result oedema and aching right arm after 2 months - which disappeared when stopped taking!

after a break - went to GP again, Losartan 25, no effect on BP, upped to 50. 6 weeks on 50mg - 1 stone heavier, and aching joints and feet I'd put down to putting on weight - but couldn't fathom why I gained weight but reading through, its becoming clear, and will study posts here for alternatives - and, at my present rate of weight gain, Losartan is heading for the bin. Thank you and everyone else for your posts.

• Posted

I don't know when this side effect was advised, but

Website:  Drugs dot com, lists under 'Call your doctor at once if you have:'  weight gain as a side effect.

• Edited

Hello,

I know you posted this some time ago but it really rings true for me.

Im 48 and was changed from Ramipril to losartan about 4 weeks ago, in which time i have gained 8 pounds in weight. At 5ft 3" this is quite an increase. My hands are swollen and I literally can feel the weight gain. I dread to think what I will be in another month. On the plus side Though, my cough has subsided (not completely). But I literally get to about 3pm and I'm utterly exhausted.

I've got a fancy dinner to go to on Friday and have ordered so many dresses on line as nothing fits me. Sounds like I'm being vain, but having had 2 heart attacks a ruptured appendix and pneumonia in less than 2 years, my confidence is already pretty low.

Hoping someone can tell me it will all settle down. X

• Posted

15/3/2020 Hi Shelley, Please see my reply to Wendy. There are at least 100 anti-HTN meds on the market. Of those 100, there has got to be at least 1 for you that will not have dangerous & overall anxiety-producing results & side-effects! Since the 90s doctors - especially in the US - have become extremely lazy* & just dont want to take the time to find the "perfect" med for each patient. I remember a time (before 1997, or so) when drs would give FREE SAMPLE PACKS of meds to their pts in an attempt to find just the right one before writing the Rx. In healthcare ... one size does NOT fit all! That is dangerous thinking & a dangerous way to practice medicine.

• Posted

I definitely believe that losartan increases anxiety In people with a predisposition to that. My dose was up from 50 mg to 100 mg and I had horrible side-effects to begin with including increased anxiety weakness in my legs and an inability to concentrate and feeling confused all the time after three weeks on the increased dose of the side-effects are lessening slightly so I’m hoping that it’s all only temporary. I haven’t put on any weight but that’s because I’ve worked very hard not to
  • Posted

Hi Wendy, I know your wrote this article some time ago but what was the outcome. I am on loser tin and I am facing the sane side effects. Depression and weight gain.  I have tried amlodapone and  ramapril in the last 2 years and have put on 3 st. Doctors keep telling me it’s not the drugs but I know it is. I am now so depressed, I am on suicide watch. What can I do? I’m desperate to come off of these drugs. 

• Posted

15/3/2020 Hi Sandra, Please see my replies to Wendy & Shelley. There are at least 100 anti-HTN meds on the market. Of those 100, there has got to be at least 1 for you that will not have dangerous side effects & make your anxiety disorder worse! In healthcare ... one size does NOT fit all! That is a lazy, unscientific & dangerous way to practice medicine. My best to you.

• Edited

My joints have been hurting ,especially in my toes! Is it from this BP med?

• Edited

Hi Catherine69282.. my toes feet ankles and the tops of my feet were so painful. Also had constant cramp in my shins. 3 days after i stopped taking Losarton the pains went. I have been preacribed Adizem-XL tablets instead of Losarton and have had no adverse side effects and my blood pressure is the lowest its ever been now and the weight dropped off me and I have totally pain free limbs now.
    • Edited

Hi Lindsay99255, 

Glad you’re feeling better now. I came off Losartan 3 weeks ago. I now feel way better and have dropped 13lbs. My BP is now almost back to normal.  

These tablets should be banned! My doctor wouldn’t listen when I said they were making me fat. They just gave me slimming pills and told me to exercise more. Not easy when you’ve put on a lot of weight suddenly.  I now take no medication at all and just manage myself with natural remedies. 

• Edited

Thankyou for letting me know!,My feet have been so sore! The joints in my toes especially. I thought iam just old! But no its got to be the losartan. Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.