Weight gain on Mirtazapine 30mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

So i have just started on the 30m Mirtazapine and it's my 3rd night taking them ans i have read up on a lot of different forums that there are patients gaining weight off these? well i would like to know what the odds are of gaining weight because i have always had problems with weight gain, i can never put on any weight, no matter how much i eat, i have a fast metabolism and i am wondering, will the mertazapine surpass my high metabolism. also in some cases i've heared it slowes your metabolism down too..   but it would actually be a benefit for me to gain some extra weight.

thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi dean

yes apparently most people gain weight on this drug.. although a few do not

• Posted

i had an excellend matabolism and i could eat what i want always staying at the same weight. now when I started to use mirtazepine, the good times are over, i gained 7 kg, then i started to have a diet and managed to lose 2 kg but now i am back to 7 and i feel on my weist every extra calory i take sad

i never imagined that something like that could happen..

• Posted

I know. It's a shock, isn't it? Even when you diet, the mirt seems to readjust your body so you stop losing weight. I have been dieting since Christmas without a break and I cannot shift the final 7 lbs that I want to.

To stay the weight I am right now, I have to constantly diet and exercise.

• Posted

I was on the thin side too before going on mirtazapine. I was able to eat whatever I liked and not gain an ounce. However, I put on over 20lbs in my first 6 months of mirtazapine. I have lost nearly all of it now, but it has been a struggle and I have to watch every calorie and also work out. So from my experience, I would say that you are very likely to put on some weight.
  • Posted

Mirtazapine has originally been developed for people with Eating Disorders to make them gain weight. So yeah. The likelyhood that you will put on 20 lbs is quite high.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.