Weight gain on mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on mirtazapine for about a month for depression . It has helped my mood a lot but I've put on so much weight. According to my doctor's records, I was 67kg in my last weight check and am now 81kg. I know that this has mostly been recent weight gain as my waist size went up a lot since the start of the year. I'm now overweight which is something I've never had a problem with. In others experiences, does the weight gain taper off a bit after the first while on the medication?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had exactly the same problem so I am now trying to get off Mirtzapine, even though it did improve my sleep
  • Posted

The weight gain is caused by the increased appetite so you obviously eat more. I've been on 15mg for about 2 months now but have only gained around 7lb

• Posted

Mirtazapine does increase your appetite but it also makes you need fewer calories to maintain the same weight. I can eat loads more without putting on weight than I could during my 4 years on mirtazapine. I did a calculation over the period of a year (6 months on it and then came off and 6 months without mirt). I can eat over 500 calories more in a day and not put on weight than I could on mirtazapine.
    • Posted

Yeah I understand it does increase appetite and I have noticed that. I don't think my appetite and weight gain is equal though. My appetite was pretty bad for a while when I was worst depressed, I was drinking coffee for energy, skipping meals a lot and losing weight. I would say it's my normal appetite, which would suggest I'd return to my normal weight of about 75kg but it's 6kg heavier and in very little time. I guess I need to reduce it anyway

• Posted

Mirtazapine is also messing with my blood pressure.  It actually has negative reactions with lisinopril.  I can't win, but I Won't loose.  lol

• Posted

HI MATTHEW52441,,,,try drinking a full glass of water when you feel hungry and only eat at regular times ,,,,might sound silly but it helps with the weight,,,BLUESY
  • Posted

I've gained 25 pounds from mirtazapine.  Water retention AND and insatiable appetite.  

Drink as much water as you can.  You will retain less water if you have water in your metabolism all the time.  Sounds like it'd be the other way around, but it works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.