Weight gain on Mirtz!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I’ve been on this med for just over 2 years and have gained 2 stone as well as it not doing anything for my anxiety or depression all it does is makes me get a nights sleep after suffering insomnia for years. My anxiety and depression is still with me every day. If I change meds’ or come off the mirtz will the weight come off any advice or similar story would be appreciated thank you 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes I came off cold turkey from 7.5mg and lost half a stone in 5 days! I only put on 10 pounds and went from a size 8 to a 10...I'm back on them now cos couldn't bear the side effects but my appetite hasn't returned, I forced myself to eat a few biscuits today!

• Posted

Hi, I have been using Mirtazapine to help with sleeping. Since stopping it cold turkey, I have suffered greatly with insomnia which I now understand is one of the effects of withdrawal. It has been 12 days but I am determined to see it through as I do not want to go back on it as it REALLY affects my restless leg syndrome. It is likely you will suffer from insomnia if you go cold turkey. I wish I had done it under medical supervision now. I haven’t had any issue with my weight while being on it. I would strongly suggest you talk to your GP and good luck
  • Posted

I am trying to come off it as my anxiety and depression no better. Weight just the same after lowering. Dont know if a change of meds will help. See what dr recommends.  Now on 3.75mg sleep gone totally awry so go carefully
  • Posted

Hi I take this in conjunction with other meds. It helps me sleep but I have gained weight too.  One of my issues is eating disorders both anorexia and bulimna so this weight gain is really frustrating and upsetting  me.  I only take 15 mg is it okay to stop cold turkey??
    • Posted

Hi, after going cold turkey for 16 days after taking 15mg for insomnia only, I would not recommend it. I have bad insomnia, complete lack of energy, and nausea. It IS beginning to get better but I deeply regret not tapering the dosage. I would urge you to do this under medical supervision especially if you are taking other meds.

Good luck

• Posted

Hey! 

Don’t do it. Seriously don’t do it. Follow your gps advice. I was back at my gp this morning begging them to put me back on. I swallowed a lot of pills and cut myself up pretty bad and after trying citalopram and something else (legit can’t remember) I ended up on Mirtazapine. I gained a fair bit of weight. 9 stone up to 11.5 stone. I came off them thinking my weight was more important as I just felt horrible in my own skin. 

It’s been 3 months since I came off them, I’ve lost a stone and haven’t slept in 8 days. I crumbled into an anxious mess every single morning and evening, affecting my job and general well-being. 

If you had a serious infection and you had antibiotics that made you fat you’d still take them. If you’re depressed, just like any other sickness, you take your meds. 

Please take my advice. Don’t patch your mirtazapine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.