Weight gain on tapazole (methamazole)??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I’ve not posted in a while as things have been looking up the past few months until now.

Since my diagnosis of hyper/graves almost 1.5 years ago, I’ve been on tapazole to control my levels. From undetectable TSH to now normal range. My hair loss slowed down significantly and overall I’ve been feeling very good.

However, I couldn’t help but started noticing weight gain. Its not a drastic gain, but it’s slowly creeped up on me. Before my diagnosis I lost 20lbs in 3 months so when I started gaining it back with meds, I thought it was just my hormones normalizing. However In the past year, I went from 125 to now my latest 143lbs. I’m 5’6 so the gain isn’t obvious but I can feel it in my clothes and number on my doctors scale doesn’t lie. I quit drinking alcohol completely 2 months ago as I thought it was contributing to my weight gain and started working out 3x a week (cardio and resistance training) and instead of losing I actually gained another 3 lbs (I’m positive it’s not muscles either since I do mostly cardio).  I admit my diet has not changed much but I’ve never been a big eater always counted my calories to keep me in check. 

Anyway, I’m now convinced it’s from the meds but when brought it up with my endo she tells me I’m fine. My latest blood lab is:

TSH 1.1 (0.32-4.00)

T4 13 (9-19)

T3 3.3 (3.1-6.2)

My endo says I’m not hypo but My T3s on the lower end. Could this be the cause of my weight gain? I’m only taking 2.5mgs antithyroid meds daily, doc said I can try and cut that dose in half to see if I can slowly wean off meds. 

Any insight would be appreciated! Sorry if this has been discussed many times so please bear with me. 

Thank you,

Charlotte

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Not sure if this helps or not....I was also diagnosed with graves/hyper a year and a half ago....I'm not on any medication...but, have gained weight....I've eliminated sugar/gluten from my diet and still gain weight...

This weight gain is terrible for me...as I'm only 4'9 

I now weigh 147 which is about what I weighed 6 months pregnant. 

• Posted

Hi Cecelo, it's great that you are feeling much better compared to 1.5 years ago. More than a year ago, I was in a similar situation. My thyroid levels remained normal for some time and my endo recommended stopping the anti-thyroid medication. My lowest dose was 2.5mg per day. After stopping the meds, my endo told me to watch out for any signs indicating that I might become hyperthyroid again (and to do a blood test if that should be the case). Luckily I am still doing ok. 

I had gained a few pounds as well but then I started losing weight again. Instead of a diet I reduced my intake of carbohydrates and increased my intake of proteins and fatty acids. For example, I started eating a low carbohydrate bread with only 25% carbs and a higher amount of protein, fibre, and fats. When eating starchy food I would take only 2/3 of a portion and take more vegetables and proteins (meat, fish, eggs). It might also help to replace sweet snacks with e.g. a mixture of goji berries (high in protein) and cashews. 

While working out, I would recommend limiting the amount of cardio training. This type of exercise is very efficient at increasing your metabolism and unfortunately also your thyroid output. Instead, you could add some stretching exercises. Very important, try to add resistance training that strengthens your lower back and abdomen in addition to shoulders and arms (using a rather low weight setting). I would also recommend swimming. 

To record your weight, I would suggest weighing yourself once a week and keeping a chart (e.g. excel). After a few months, you can identify a trend from the diagram and find out if your weight is stable or not (without being distracted by outliers and daily weight fluctuations). 

• Posted

Thank you dan for your suggestions. I think I will start taking my reduction in carb intake seriously. Also glad to hear your levels are stable after stopping meds as that is my end goal. Does that mean you’re successful in remission? The fact that you were able to lose weight gives me hope too.

I know I should feel fortunate that my symptoms aren’t too serious at the moment and that it could be worse but I’m worried if I don’t figure out the cause of weight gain and continue to let it happen, it will trigger another set of problem down the road. 

• Posted

Hi Cecelo, I also like to share my experience with you on weight gain and MM. I am fortunate enough that after 3 months of GD diagnosed and taking ATM and natural treatment, I became euthyroid. Recently I started to experiment changing MM dose as I felt thyroid level going down (physically and mentally inactive). I went off-MM for a few days and tried to catch thyroid level change (by feeling) and weight change until I feel (too) active again. And then I re-get on MM for a few days to find changes. I measure my weight every day in the morning after finishing #2 with only underwear on and no shoes (so it's my true weight). My record showed that during my off days, my weight went a persistent gradual downhill (weight loss), but during my on days, it went an opposite up direction. I was convinced that in theory, taking MM (even low dose as I am taking 2.5mg) will effectively block thyroid hormone production and render body low metabolism rate. Exercise might not be able to bring up your metabolism which is controlled by thyroid hormone... I am on your side on lowering ATM dose for weight issue only if you do not encounter significant thyroid level change. GL

• Posted

Thank you Mike for sharing, it gives me some “hope” or answers. I think what’s bugging me most is I need to know what’s causing the weight gain so I can do something about it, because nothing seems to be helping.

I’ve cut my dosage in half (taking 2.5 every other day) and will be doing my blood test in 2 weeks to see if my levels are still ok an if weight is more manageable. I’ll come back and share if I notice any difference. 

• Posted

Welcome. Let's hope action you take will reward a better control of your weight and a further improvement on thyroid condition in weeks. GL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.