Weight gain really getting me down

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

I got diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism in October 2017 and started on 40mg of carbimazole each day and 25mg of propranolol.

In November 2017 I also found out I have Graves Disease.

I am now on 30mg of carbimazole due to my levels being normal.

I've put 2stone 7pounds on since my diagnosis and it's really getting me down now.

People did comment over Christmas when I saw them to exchange presents and comments where made but I had only put 1 stone on and that was the weight I was when I saw them 2 months before.

Now I'm at a point where I weigh over 16stone and I've never weighed this much even when I was pregnant and I ache everywhere. Daily tasks are even harder to do and it's really getting me down.

I told my doctor at Christmas about comments people had made and I was already reducing my calories and I'd been on 1500 calories a day for 3 weeks and still gained weight. She said I must be lying so I can't even go back to her.

Today I've started following slimming world and I'm hoping it makes a difference but I really don't know.

Last week I put 5lb on I'm eating normal like i always have and maintained in the past.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Those are fairly high dosages of carbimazole and you don't say what your current thyroid test levels are.  It sounds like you have gone from Hyper to Hypo.  Can you get your last thyroid test level results (that is your results and the range for normal for each test in brackets beside your result) and post it to this Board?  I can sure understand your frustration with gaining weight.  

• Posted

ENDOCRINOLOGY

Thyroid Function

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE   1.98           mIU/L     0.27 - 4.20 

FREE THYROXINE                12.5           pmol/L    12.00 - 22.00 

TOTAL THYROXINE(T4)           77.4           nmol/L    59.00 - 154.00 

FREE T3                       3.78           pmol/L    3.10 - 6.80 

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY        <10            IU/mL     0.00 - 115.00 

THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES

109            IU/mL     0.00 - 34.00

They are my results from last week.

I'm not due another blood test until the start of March.

• Posted

If it were me, I would want to know if I also had Hashimoto antibodies.  Can you ask your family doctor to test this?  The test is for TGAb antibodies and repeat anti-TPO.  Usually Hashi patients have higher levels of anti-TPO and are more sensitive to both thyroid hormone blocking drugs like Carbimazole and thyroid replacement drugs like Levothyroxine.  I think your meds are a little too strong for you now because your Free T3 and T4 are at the bottom of the range and the dose of Carbimazole can be lowered even a little bit so your values can come up to mid-range.  
    • Posted

My carbimazole got reduced to 30mg 2 weeks ago.

What is the test for hashimotos?

• Posted

TGAb and anti-TPO.  You have already had anti-TPO and it is elevated but the TGAb is what you need to get done to rule out Hashimoto's.

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear this.  I, too, was just diagnosed with Graves in Dec after having been hospitalized twice for hypercalcemia caused by untreated hyperthyroid.  since the start of tapazole, I have gained an enormous amount of weight.  The lack of control and support is what is so discouraging.  If you read about the medications, it says for side effects of tapazole "excessive weight gain". 

• Posted

It is awful that we are just left to deal with it.

The first thing the endo will say to me is about my weight.

It's not right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.