Weight gain since coming off venalfaxine nearly 3weeks and putting on weight

Posted , 3 users are following.

3 weeks off ven and gaining weight by the day dispite the fact that I have stopped eating rubbish for the last 4 weeks. I have read that you normaly lose weight when you come off antidepressants so I'm confused to say the least. Has anyone else had the same experience? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear michael,

I must be honest, I have never taken venlafaxine and I am not medically trained but I had a friend when I lived in Milton keynes who was on this drug for some time prescribed by his GP for depression.

He came off it and put on about a stone in weight which he was not too happy about.

Obviously he really researched into it's withdrawl effects after his weight gain and discovered the following.

Some people report,

1) problems with regulation of appetite

2) problems with gastrointestinal functions

3) heart problems

4) visual disturbances

5) irritability and anxiousness.

He explained this to me over a pint of beer ( I don't think he should have been drinking if suffering from depression, what can you say? )

Don't worry about the weight gain I have lost 7 stone over the last two years, I have IBS and type 2 diabetes and weighed in at 31 stone when I started dieting. It was very serious for me. By losing weight I have managed to come of insulin injections which has impressed by GP.

This is the diet I made up and it worked

Home - made rye bread ( no wheat )

Porridge with milled linseed

Chicken broth

Salad

Scrambled egg with olive oil

Vegetable stew

Apple

Probiotic yogart

Sauerkraut ( home - made )

Buttermilk

Walnuts

Almonds

Pumpkin seeds

Sunflower seeds

Lots of water but no tea or coffee

The diet works by increasing digestive transit, and I assure it works.

Hope this helps you in some way, don't get depressed about putting on a bit of weight, you will be able to overcome the problem.

All the very best

Have a good Christmas

robert

• Posted

Thanks so much for your help and well done for losing the weight. I will try all you have mentioned have a great Xmas buddy 
  • Posted

I am on Venflaxine ( just started after bad reaction on 45mg mirtazapine ) and I am losing weight whilst on it. And this is a known side effect. So perhaps when you come off the suppressed need for food starts to come back, as you feel better to you do tend to eat more

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.