Weight gain taking Amlodipine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this group.I'm 49, male & have been taking 5mg of Amlodipine & 10mg of Lisinopril for almost a year now for high BP.

Over the last few months I have noticed by stomach has become very bloated & have put on weight,almost 1 stone.

I walk 6 miles a day to/from work, have a healthy diet & have 1-2 units of alcohol per week.

I have other side effects including swollen ankles & hands, excessive need to urinate at night & feeling tired/lethargic all the time.

Has anyone else experienced weight gain taking Amlodipine?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

the swollen ankle and feet need to pass water are classic amilodipine and you GP should take you off it immediately. The bloating of the stomach is interesting, In myself i had put it down to drinking at age 67!!
  • Posted

Hi TonyDi....Water retention is a very common characteristic of Amlodipine, especially at 10mgs. The swollen ankles & hands you are experiencing IS water retention, especially if you didn't experience these prior or just at the start of Amlodipine. As for the weight gain, that could be caused by a number of factors.

While you may be walking quitge a lot, what about your food selections? Why not ask your doctor to see if 5mgs of the Amlodipine would be more suitable?

• Posted

Hi I have never had Amlodopine  but have certainly had Lisinopril to control BP. I found that all the 'prils',.. ramipril, lisinopril etc gave me fat ankles, made me unbelieveably lethargic and contributed to an over all feeling of age. (66).Under the guidance of my GP I have since abandonned Lisinopril in favour of Valsartan. So far so good for me tho' I appreciate this drug does not suit everyone's needs.

Hope you find a solution.

• Posted

Hi Andy Po...Lisinipril..or the other medications ending in 'pril"..are A.C.E. Inhibitors...Some people develop a nagging dry cough which is a side effect of the medication, while others do not. I take Perindopril...& never developed the cough. Apparently, the average is 1 in 3...Once stopping the medication, the cough will go away. VALSARTAN, is a different class of medication, belonging to the ARB..while they act on the body in similar fashion, they are different just the same. I have a friend who takes Valsartan & has good results.
  • Posted

Tony, I've been prescibed A, but I'm not going to take it after all these reports of horrible side effects.  I'm waiting for blood and urine tests to see if there are any underlying causes for my highish BP.  If not ,I'm going down the alternative route!  I work in this field ,so ,have access to cayanne capsules, turmeric and black pepper capsules, generic garlic tabs, and of course we can all buy almonds and coconut water.

I've got swollen ankles already, so I don't  need extra help with that!  and I've finally got ride of my varicose eczema. I don't want it back! 

Keep in touch and let the forum know how you get on x x x

• Posted

I think you will have realised by now from all the replies that water retention is a big problem with Amlodipine. The weight gain could also be water retention but not sure about the swollen stomach. I also took Amlodipine but told my GP I wanted to come of it after 3/4 weeks due to my ankles and legs swelling, I also had pain in my legs. Just out of curiosity, do you have the Lisinopril cough?
    • Posted

Cough cough cough, particularly at night... used to drive me (and family) to distraction and was certinly one of the reasons why I asked for a change from Ramipril/lisinopril. But see Mike92384 who says that the side effect does not happen to everyone.
    • Posted

Hi Andy Po. I was the same coughed continuously day and night. The cough is caused by toxic waste which lodges in the lungs. The cough is the body way of trying to clear this. This apparently is more likely to happen if you are more mature (I am 66). The kidneys cannot clear the waste completely, it passes into the blood stream. I am now on Losartan, no problems at all.
    • Posted

Hi nannylynn, that is interesting as I had a kidney transplant years ago and thus my renal function is significantly diminished at about 35 percent. Hence why I coughed so much I suppose when taking ramipril. ... I too am 66.
    • Posted

Hi Andy Po, I only have one kidney working propely.When I researched Lisinopril I was surprised the GP prescribed them. When I saw my usual GP she changed them straight away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.