Weight gain with dermoid cysts

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have been reading everyones symtoms on here ..abdominal pain irregular bleeding bloatedness tiredness..has anyone gained weight? I am trying to loose weight before my surgery in March which my surgeon has advised me to do..but i am struggling anyone else out there with the same problem?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I did gain weight but at most I only gained about 8lbs. I have a very high metabolism so it's hard for me to gain anything. After surgery, my weight dropped back down. The weight gain has a lot do with your hormones, so I'm not sure how your doctor expects you to lose the weight unless you go on a very strict diet.  My weight fluctuated daily. 

• Posted

Hi raven

Thanks for your feedback ..i know i dont know how they expect me to lose it..i am putting it on not taking it off..and my periods are all over the place..i am actually on pills to try and clot the blood..feeling miserable x

• Posted

Debbie,

I totally understand. You're not alone. I do not know how many times I thought I was pregnant. I know this may be easier said than done, but try not to stress. I put a lot of strain on my body by stressing so much before my surgery, because I did not know what to expect.

I hope everything goes well for you!

• Posted

Hi Raven

Thankyou i am just worried when the time comes for my surgery and the surgeon refuses to do my op as i havent lost any weight.

Thanks again xx

• Posted

Hi

I have put on 8 pounds in last couple of weeks and am still gaining. The worst part is because of size of cyst and tiredness it's impossible to exercise. I expect to put on more weight before the surgery is finally done it's a nightmare.

• Posted

I have had the same battle. Am having a dermoid ovary cyst removed in 2 weeks and as well as blotting/fatigue and pain have watched the scales increase rapidly even though I'm eating less, very depressing. Also due to bloating nothing fits which has left me low

• Posted

Hi there I don't have a dermoid cyst but I've lost 1 stone 12 pounds since March, however my stomach has not shrunk in the slightest bit, only getting bigger, I certainly believe these cysts give a plateau affect around the belly area. It's very frustrating.

• Posted

I have the same problem. My surgeon says I need to lose more weight around my abdomen before she will operate but though I've always been able to lose when dieting in the past I just can't shift it now.  It's almost as if my abdomen is protecting itself with an extra layer. I know it sounds daft but that's how it seems.  It's so frustrating.  I had my preop last week but am really worried that they won't operate when the time comes (no date as yet).

i have an 8.8cm dermoid cyst which is very close to my urethra so will have to have the urology team involved in my op too. 

I feel for you! 

• Posted

My gynae consultant told me the dermoid ovarian cyst I have been diagnosed with would not have caused me to put on weight - I am worried now, as he is going to be the one operating on me and he clearly knows nothing about dermoid ovarian cysts!  I love running - I haven't been able to for about 3 months, sometimes due to pain and sometimes due to extreme tiredness (a complete struggle to even put one foot in front of the other sometimes to take the dogs for a ten minute walk). I have put on about a stone and been almost constantly bloated for months.  Surgery in ten days.... Today I feel like I have a cold coming on frown.  Although I swear by grapefruit to get rid of colds before they take hold .... Off to buy some in a minute... I need this operation before I put on any more weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.