Weight gain with Evorel 50 patches anyone?

Posted , 30 users are following.

I've been on Evorel 50 patches for about a year now and I've gained about a stone in weight! I know this doesn't seem a lot compared to some women but I'm generally very healthy and exercise about 3/4 times a week and usually manage to lose weight quite reasonably! But now I really struggle and like most women it's all in my belly and boobs! I feel really bloated all the time and I have a been having bleeding since the beginning of this year! I've had a hysteroscopy and a biopsy plus scan and blood test but everything came back normal! I'm 54 and I started with the menopause when I was 39 and haven't had a period since I was about 40! I only decided to try HRT as the night sweats were becoming unbearable, I was waking up absolutely soaking more than once a night! Also my mental health is shocking, and my anxiety is extreme but that could also be because I lost my mum in January this year quite suddenly! I am awaiting councilling sessions for that! However I do believe the HRT could also be adding to my anxiety 😪 Sorry for the long post but I think I may want to just come off the HRT as the struggle to keep the weight off is depressing me even further! Would love to hear from anyone using these patches experiencing similar symptoms.

2 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sue

I started using Evorel conti patches a month ago. Not sure what the difference is between the two, conti and 50? My last period was June this year. As I'm 57 my doctor said it was ok to use the conti. It contains both oestrogen and progesterone. My breasts definitely feel fuller and a bit of weight gain around tummy. But I think its a small price to pay for feeling better. 

A couple of months before starting the hrt patches I too had been suffering with terrible nights sweats and anxiety and palpitations. I started taking super strength sage and passionflower and meno serene, a womens multivitamin. I also take magnesium and Vit D3 as so many ladies here recommend.  The night sweats stopped within a week or two of starting the sage and passionflower. The passionflower is a herbal relief for stress and mild anxiety and can cause drowsiness so I take it in the evening, it's from holland and barrett.

I do think as we get older we have to reconsider our diet as we tend to gain weight easier. I'm going to try smaller portions and get out walking more often. And cut back on my evening glass or two of wine!

So sad to lose your mum suddenly, I'm sure that will be causing some of your symptoms. Did the hrt help the night sweats? And has the bleeding stopped? Maybe a different hrt would be better if your periods had stopped?

Hope this helps a little and you can find something to help you

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Firstly, my sincere condolences on the death of your mam, that's a tough time right there 😓

I'm 53 year's of age and have been going through the menopause for the last 5/6 years.

I've been on Evorel conti patches now for the past 2 month's. My hot flushe's weren't too bad but I started growing hair on my face and loosing it on my head and my moods started to get low and I was loosing my "get up and go" for life. Since I've been on the patch the plus side has been: glowing skin, super shiny hair and I'm feeling more positive once again!! The only down side is the WEIGHT GAIN😨😰

The extra weight is all around my tummy and hips😣

I'm really hoping that if I get back to working out it will balance off!!

Can anyone answer me this question please?

Is it true, that once you come off HRT you have to go through the menopausal symptoms anyway?

Is HRT only postponing the hot flushes, mood swings ect.?? Good God I hope not 😲

Thank you all so much for reading my post and any answers would be really appreciated 😘

• Posted

Saundra are you my sister in disguise!?

Only yesterday I used the phrase 'get up and go' to describe how I was feeling after a month on the evorel conti patches.

I too had the same problems with hair, on my face and head. I hadn't thought the patches will help improve that, so that's a bonus!

I have put weight on too on my tummy, hips and breasts. But I'll accept that for feeling better in myself. I'm going to work on the weight gain now I'm feeling like I have more energy. At least the plumpness is filling the wrinkles a little on my face.

My GP did say I was only putting off the inevitable when I asked for the hrt. Some older ladies on here refuse to stop taking the hrt, their theory is the benefits outweigh the risks. My sister says she is never going to stop taking it and has even researched buying it online if her GP refuses to provide it in the future. My theory is if we can stay on it for ten years then maybe we will be at a better more stable and sedate stage of life to cope with any meno symptoms. We are so busy now we don't have time to deal with it.

But I am going to continue for as long as I can and as long as it's safe to do so.

Take care x

• Posted

Hi Maisie (sister!!!)

Thanks so much for replying and for helping me feel like I'm not on my own 🤗

I definitely have a lot more energy since being on HRT too, that's a major plus! 😍😘

• Posted

hi there

well i have just picked up my first supply of patches evorel 25 im a little aprehensive to say the least, but i cant cope with the lack of movement in my bones and muscles and my anxiety is through the roof

no sleep pattern and never ever comfy in bed achey all the time, doc suggested these as bone wastage is a big thing !!! and brain fog ... where did i leave it again !! dear god please Nnnnoooo weight gain

no periods for over 5 years

• Posted

hi- did the everol conti patches help your hair and not cause hair loss as its something i already feel i am having extreme scalp pain and hair thinning at top and was hoping this hrt would help that now i am scared to start them.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are still suffering. I have been on Evorel for 6 months now & have had no flushes for a few weeks after several years of trying herbal remedies. All good now, not got bags of energy & no weight gain so far but I could do with shedding a stone or so. Maybe you need to try a different patch, gel or tablets. On the plus side I have found I can remove the horrible black sticky glue with surgical spirit. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jean, that's a great tip for removing the "sticky glue" left by the patch ...... I've been using a facial scrub to get it off and have rubbed my skin raw ....... have just tried surgical spirit now and came of instantly!!!🖒

Thanks for passing on your tip 😘

• Posted

Use baby oil to remove sticky glue put it on a cotton ball not harsh on skin
  • Edited

Hi Sue. I am so relieved to find someone else who is going through a similar experience!. I recently turned 55 - had a hysterectomy 7 months ago - both ovaries and uterus removed. I had been though menopause as well - i.e. no more periods since 2010. Had been on Evorel Sequi and Conti - no side effects. However since the op and since using Evorel 50 - have gained 6 KGS - and also feel bloated all the time!!!

It is all as you say on the belly and the boobs! And like yourself - I have never battled to loose weight before. I exercise daily, and follow a very healthy diet. I feel exactly the same regarding wanting to give up the patches. As you say - it is depressing to go through all these side effects whereas previously there were none. Would be interested to hear what you have decided to do. I suppose we both need to go back to our respective gynaes.  FYI I have today started taking "waterfall" - tabs to help with bloatedness and water retention. Hoping to see an improvement - if not - definitely stopping the HRT. I reckon all one can do is experiment to see what works best?

Jenni

• Posted

Hi Gay here. I've been on these since March this year. Great feeling sleeping through the night again. I have been having mini sort of bleeds that seems to be fizzling out. Been getting checked though so it is being monitored. Can anyone else say if they have had fluid retention? I think my legs are tighter and more achy than before. Can't bend the same. Even the weight gain doesn't feel soft and fatty but harder. Sorry for my description. 😁.

• Posted

Hi Behappy,

I've been on Evorel for a couple of months now. Mainly because of the violent night sweats and lack of sleep. I recently lost my Mum and husband within 5 weeks of each other so needed to be able to sleep. Anyway, its been good for the sweats but I have noticed my legs feel tighter especially when kneeling (feels like my skin is gonna burst!). I put it down to the fact that I'm one of those that carry weight from my legs down but now realize that my waist and hips are changing shape too which is a gripe!!. I read your post so now thinking of some herbal remedy as mentioned in the previous post.

• Posted

Hi Gay  Interesting that you say about your legs thats how mine feel I have stared doing excercises and put it down to that but it hasnt gone away been on evorel 75 for a few months and 50 before that, but the symptoms altho at first disappeared they started to come back after 3 months so GP upped me to 75 .. I am struggling with my weight too.  I had a full hysterectomy a year ago. I wonder if anyone else had had the tight leg syndrome 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.