weight gain with mirtazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

In worried about the common side effect of Weight gain with this med, I've been on it 4 days, wondered how quick the increase in appetite and weight gain started?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi there me again..well i started feeling hungry straight away craving things i never ate at all!!!........i guess its down to the individual some people dont weight gain and some gain loads....ive gained about 7 pounds in a month......theres lots of info on here about weight gain so good luck to you...
  • Posted

Well I can reassure you a bit. I've been on mirtazapine for 6 years and never put on any weight or had cravings so it's not inevitable. In fact, I didn't know weight gain was associated with it until I read about it recently on the forum! It is early days for you yet, the effects (good and bad) can take a few weeks to develop.
  • Posted

For me, it's sort of sneaked up on me. I was taking it for about four weeks with no weight gain, and thinking well I guess that does not apply to me. Then suddenly I put on 8 pounds the next two weeks. I started gaining about 6 ounces on a daily basis. I could not handle that so I have since withdrawn from the medication.

I have to say you are absolutely the very first person that I have read about who did not gain weight. After extensive research on this side effect, it appears that it affects your insulin function and has nothing to do with what you eat or don't eat, or how much you exercise. I was gaining that weight while on the treadmill daily and eating less than 1200 cal a day.

consider yourself completely lucky that the side effect did not affect you because the sleep it provided was outstanding after years of fighting insomnia. It was really a catch 22. I have been off of the drug now for six weeks and am finally starting to lose the weight.

• Posted

hi there totally agree with the weight gain....i feel like im am growing overnight in my sleep!!......yes agreed it is really good for insomnia which is the best thing about it...may i ask how you withdrew from the medication i would like to as my anxiety has increased and the weight gain is really getting me down.....interesting about the insulin function....interesting post sorry to reply when your comment was meant for someone else....just wanted some advice on withdrawal...kind regards
  • Posted

Hi, everyone is different, I've been taking Mirt for nearly 2 months. No weight gain. Good really as I'm trying to loose weight - was worried when I read about this. Was originally taking 15mg but after 4 days of horrible side effects doc reduced to 7.5. Doc talked about increasing but am scared as have read about bad withdrawal with this med.

All the best and hope you start feeling better soon

• Posted

I was only it for about 12 weeks at 15mg.  I just cut my dose in half for about 2 weeks and then nothing.  I experienced flu like symptoms, mainly consistent nausea for about three weeks, but that finally passed.  I'm back to fighting insomnia and not doing very well, but I did not have depression except for I was sad every day following night after night of little to no sleep.  I've been insomniac for about 15 years and this was the first med that helped so that's really a disappointment.  

Maybe I'm too vain, but I didn't see an end in sight to the weight gain and knew surely that would absolutely cause depression.  So I made a choice to withdraw.

I have been taking Kirkland Sleep Aid along with a low dosage of xanax and that sometimes buys me some sleep.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Melodious

Like you I suffered with Insomnia which went on for a couple of months, thought I'd go crazy with the anxiety is brought on and then depression.  I'm taking Mirt' 15mg - I just wanted to recommend a book to you called "Say Goodnight To Insomnia" by Dr Greg Jacobs ... it's brilliant, I feel like I'm gained confidence in being able to help myself with sleep for when it's time to come off the Mirt.

Joleen, I wish you well and hope that you don't suffer with the weight gain - in 8 months I have gained about 18 lbs ggrrrrrrr !!  I have lost several pounds when REALLY REALLY trying - but the craving for junk really gets to me and I cave in !!

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi jolene

Mirtazapine itself dos not make you put weight on, but it does make you super hungry all the time.

I've put on about a stone and a half in 1 year.

Hope that helps.

45mg for 1 year started on 15mg then to 30mg then 45.

• Posted

Matthew,

I have to respectfully disagree with you about the Mirt not causing the weight gain.  This simply is incorrect.  I changed nothing in my lifestyle; I eat a very low cal/barely any carbs/high protein diet.  I exercise and have so for decades.  I have always been a very petite, fit person.  I couldn't understand the weight gain since I hadn't changed anything-so I started doing a lot of research.  I learned that this side effect is not caused by 'giving in' to increased hunger.  It changes the metabolism plain and simply.  Even though I wasnt taking in any more calories, the weight gain was consistent and after the first month or so, continued on a daily basis.  I have scoured the internet and read hundreds of sad stories all with this same unpleasant UNAVOIDABLE side effect.  

SO all of you who are gaining weight from this med, do not blame yourselves.  I know many people work out extra hard and really watch their diet in order to be able to utilize this med for the great aid it offers chronic insomnia sufferers.  And you will read story after story about the same frustrating results.

No disrespect Matthew, but your implication that there is no weight gain side effect just doesn't fly.

• Posted

Hi Jolene,

for me the weight gain came quite instantly. 4 lbs in the first week. That's why I asked my doctor to give me Metformin at the same time, to counteract the weight gain. Mirtazapine f#$%&@ with your metabolism and especially with your blood glucose levels. Metformin is usually given to Diabetes II patients.

I've been on both for a month and kept my weight stable.

Since I need to lose weight though, I am going to switch now from Mirtazapine to a new drug called Vortioxetine (Trintellix). Same thing but without the weight gain issues.

• Posted

Hey Mermaid, good luck with the switch to a different AD - keep us posted won't you, be good to hear if it improved things for you.

Best wishes and thanks for the info re Metformin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.