Weight issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

im going through menopause and had ny thyroid levels checked after talking to GP about not being able to lose weight despite exercising every day and dieting. I was found to be borderline hypothyroid and started taking 25 mcg levothyroxine 4 weeks ago. Within days my mood lifted significantly, but my weight is exactly the same, even though Ive upped my exercise regime. Doc siad I could double the dose of levo if it wasnt working. As Im getting assaulted by menopause symptoms etc, I want to maintain some control of my body. Should I increase the dose? How soon should I feel better? What are the symptoms if Im taking too much? Will I lose weight? Im feeling really low about my weight.....12  stones for months now, I was normally 10 stones. Im doing high resistance on my crosstrainer and walking the dog every day. I could weep! Thanks for any advice.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie. I too have just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and started on 50mg of Levothyroxine a week ago. I'm 47 and, as yet, no sign of menopause but suspect it's lingering in the background. It's all a but scary isn't it. My diagnosis came about by accident really and I had no symptoms but I have found that the Levo has completely taken my appetite and wondered if you had found this. I suspect if you increase your dose you will experience weight loss as a result but obviously you'll need to agree this with your Doctor. I was also borderline and I've been told to take 50mg for 2 weeks, then 75mg for 2 weeks and then 100mg for 2 weeks and then redo bloods. It's a minefield and I know how you feel about wanting control back of your body. Keep up the exercise, keep walking the dog and you will eventually level off. Good luck and best wishes. Lindsey. 
  • Posted

Thanks Lindsey. I never thought about the apetite issue, but now you mention it, I dont look for snacks midmorning. I wonder if I could take my tablet in the evening as thats when I want to snack...given the dose youre on, I think its worth trying the 50mcg. Thans for a glimmer of hope!
    • Posted

I have been told that you can definitely take the meds at night so give that a go. I can definitely tell you that my appetite has dropped right off since being on 50mg. It may level back out but from what I am reading this condition is really "suck it and see" every step of the way. Get your levels right and you'll be back to your old self eventually. I think we all expect quick results but often these things take several months to sort out. Good luck. Regards. Lindsey. 
  • Posted

I am 53 and take 150 mcg at night because I want my thyroid to be already working when I get up.

I find that I am not lethargic and can function better throughout the day. 

I was on 200 mcg a day for 2 years as I wasn't called for a review on my thyroid levels. My heart was fine before, but as a result of this unexpected overdose developed an irregular heartbeat. Fainted a few times and paramedic concerned about my heart rhythm, but doctor says it's nothing to worry about.

• Posted

Thanks so much. Have just taken 50 mcg! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.