Weight issues with anti psychotic medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have suffered with schizophrenia for nearly forty years and in my early days rebelled against the medication a lot as I felt it dulled me down and I had weight issues, but know they would rush me into hospital if I made the decision to come off my depot so basically its a "no choice" situation frankly.

In my twenties and up until my mid thirties I was a size 12 to an occasional 14, sometimes a 10 even, then with constant use of medication I ballooned to a 16 and a now 18 and I weigh 16 3/4 stone!!!  It is depressing, I know its the medication and also feel that it is shutting off "the real me", any advice? no platitudes please.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have read that taking something called leptin can help control weight quite effectively - it is believed to shut off appetite/hunger receptors, and that reseachers think it can be used along with medication for  schizoprenia and other conditions which can cause weight gain.

I would ask your doctors about it - basically anything that would help is worth looking into.

I was put on olanzapine for a while and started putting on weight, so stopped taking it  Luckily I dont have schizoprenia, but have been quite bi-polar.  I do totally understand your'e position, because personally gaining weight just made me more depressed - so counteracting the point of the medication!

• Posted

Ursula, thank you so much for this as no pun intended but I honestly think I will go mad if I don't get some help, I will mention it to my doctor, is leptin a tablet, I assume?
    • Posted

Hi again, I have googled Leptin and findings about whether it works or not are mixed, but I have ordered some, as it takes weeks to get an appointment with my GP and she's not always very helpful, I also got some raspberry concentrated tablets which as I understand it, celebs swear by it in weight reduction, so I'm going to take the two together, I don't know yet what i will be able to get on prescription as GPs can be fundamentally useless at recognising the problems faced by people who have to take anti psychotic medication and basically are given veyr little choice in the matter, anyway, I'll see what happens over the next few months, Ursula, and let you know how I get on, thanks once again, Fiona
    • Posted

PS  I was also on olanzapine for a time, its notoriously bad for weight gain, I ballooned!!  Thankfully off it now
  • Posted

Hi Fiona not platitudes I promise.   Could your doctor get you on a subsidised exercise routine?  There must be one in your area presuming you are in the UK.   You can get referred by your doctor.

On the plus side you have lived with schizophrenia for 40 years so I take my hat off to you and salute your courage.   Maybe it's a good trade off by being overweight?  Only you can decide that of course.  I hope you find something which helps - please let us know.  Bev x

• Posted

Hi Bev , no problem, I have an exercise bike and do daily workouts currently.
  • Posted

Hi Fiona. I have just been diagnozed with Schizophrenia 12 months ago. I've tried various antipsychotics and also find that they make me gain weight. Beacuse of this I am in a phase of not taking them, and I've lost all the weight that I put on.

But the effects the condtion has on me is very difficult and making it almost impossible for me to stay in work. If I quit my job, my life will fall apart and everything will get worse. So.. I Also need to find a med that doesnt cause weight gain.

Like yourself, I also exercise daily using my Insanity DVDs. Not sure if you've heard of that home fitness program, but its very intense and extreme.. Yet the weight was still piling on.

I think its a combination of water retention,increased hunger/eating, and fat gain due to lowering of the matabolism caused by the meds.. 

Out of interest what meds have you tried? I hope we can find a solution that helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.