weight loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey I have real problems with putting weight on even though I have an underactive thyroid! Any suggestions?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

so you mean it's hard for you to put weight on? you are the lucky one ... i'm struggling! your metabolism wont be working properly - i know that a naturopath will give you a powder to take and it helps support it. i'm currently doing a course of powders and drops so hopefully i can be off my medication in a little while smile

there is ways around this horrid thyroid!

• Posted

Hi Dana

How lucky are you! Only obvious answer and eat more carbs maybe?

Or chocolate. smile

• Posted

Unfortunately Sharon this doesn't work either! I've tried and now it's getting worrying
  • Posted

Hi Dana I have the exact same problem.

I was roughly 6stone 1/2 and doctors wanted me up to 7stone, I'm nearly there (6 months later) but it's not easy.

I actually stay away from junk food and chocolate and eat a lot of nuts, oats, avocado, egg, fruit and veg. I follow the paleo diet (but do treat myself occasionally) and am gluten free.

• Posted

Hi Stephanie

I've been looking into paelo as well and again I can follow it for a while then my cravings for carbs gets too much. I note that you eat oats which are not paelo but is this your treat occasionally, I seem ok on Spelt bread but I see that no one actually approves of it not Paelo or The Perfect Health Diet. I suppose its all about what suits us individually at the end of the day.

Interesting talking to you all though.

Sharon

• Posted

Yup, I have oats for breakfast a few times a weeks, I buy organic gluten free oats as I feel this justifies having them a little more. I think porridge sits on the fence in the paleo world. I know many who choose to keep them in their diet due to it being such a filling breakfast.

I think my main reason to be paleo was to cut out the processed sugar in my diet. I suffer from lazy bowel and so I have to keep my diet very high in veg in order to keep my insides moving along.

• Posted

Have you had your doctor check for any other clinical conditions that would be a probable cause to your weight problem? Have you been tested for other autoimmune conditions such as Celiac Disease, a disease of the small intestine that results in poor absorption of fat, protien, carbohydrates, iron and vitamines A, D,  and K? Do you have diarrhea, osteomalacia (poorly mineralized bone), or any anemia? Check with your doctor, tell him/her of all your symptoms. It may not be a thyroid issue, but something else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.