weight loss

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all I've been on citrolplam since the 17/11/2015 for depression since I've started talking them I weighed 110kgs and now gone

Down to 103.7 as anyone else experience

This I'm on 20mg a day

Thanks jeff

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

That happen to be. I lost like 20 lbs. I started med in September. I've gained it back since then. Citalopram is awesome!
  • Posted

Hi Jeff, I also lost weight when I first started my 20mg, have put majority of it back on now. Been on the Med for 11 weeks now.

Good luck with your journey

Sam

• Posted

Sam, I'm at the same amount of weeks as you, I'm on 10mg, how are you feeling now? I'm better but don't feel I'm completely better if that makes sense?! xxx
  • Posted

Ditto Sam!! I went skinnier than I've ever been before but I'm now at 11 weeks and my weight is back - yahoo xx
    • Posted

I'm on the 20 and I feel better compared to the mess I was in 11 weeks ago when I turned up at my Doctors. But I'm the same still not back to 100%. Anxiety has subsided majority of the time but I'm still suffering in the Morning have a heavy/foggy head. Eyes feel so tired. I take my 20 at 7 every night. Want to be 100% but it's a long journey. Asked the gp to go on the 10 but he said stick with the 20 for now. We will both get there, we all will. xx

• Posted

Thanks xx no one mentions how long it takes!!!  Xx
    • Posted

Took me like 8 weeks to start feeling normal again
  • Posted

Hi Jeff

I lost weight too but it's now going back On nicely I've been on meds for coming up to 13 weeks and I'm loads better than before but like you Sam and marf and still have mild anxiety and a foggy head at times! Reading other people's messages on this site it takes a long time and slow progress to get to 100% but I'm sure we all will xxxx

• Posted

Hi Jeff

Unfortunately this is very common on citalopram. I lost a staggering amount of weight in record time and thought I had some sinister illness! Your appetite and weight will return once your depression starts to lift. If this continues I would suggest speaking with your gp and may be consider a different antidepressant. My appetite and huge weight loss in conjunction with my depression made me feel really weak and desperately unwell. Prior to being diagnosed with depression, I could never have imagined how a tiny pill could stop my appetite dead in its tracks! I got every side effect imaginable on top! Citalopram has worked wonders for many people, unfortunately I was not one of them. I stayed on citalopram for six months and mainly stayed Iin bed as everything seemed a huge effort. I think this was largely due to malnutrition as I couldn't force food down in me in any sufficient quantity! I then three weeks ago started a new antidepressant. Mirtazipine, from day 1 I felt better, no side effects at all and now eating like a horse! Got my life back and the joy that comes with it. Don't waste months and months waiting like I did! Get yourself better as speedily as you can. Give it three months and if no improvement, please consider changing ad. God bless x

• Posted

Thanks all I've been on them for 9 weeks

And still have some anxiety im not 100% but I will get their got my kids that's the main

Thing and my partner also I was worried

Why I was loseing the weight thou x

• Posted

because you weren't eating as much and using vast amounts of nervous energy I expect 😘
  • Posted

Jeff,

I think it's more to do with the anixety. When I up my dose my anixety goes up and I don't feel like eating. Especially in the morning. That is a one positive weight loss.

• Posted

Hi Jeff

I am just 4 months on cit, was on 20mg for the first 9 wks and 30mg for the last 8wks, I can honestly say it has been the worst time of my life, I lost about 24lb in about 3 - 4wks due to severe anxiety I literally couldn't swallow food..

My appetite has come back but I am 4 months in and still not myself, I still get anxious about going to social events and I definitely couldn't bring myself to sitting in a hairdressers, I know that probably sounds silly but I had a very bad panic attack in hairdressers back in September. .

I stuck wit cit because I was on them for almost 6 years before and they did eventually work.. but it seems to be taking a little longer this time, I also had added stress's as my cousin who I was very close to and she was only 40 with two small kids passed away from cancer before Christmas, I actually dnt know how I managed to sit through the funeral.. anyway I guess it just takes alot of time and a very frustrating, scary journey but please god we will all get there☺

Take care

• Posted

Hi nicola

have you tried mirtazipine before? Like you I was on citalopram for six months with every side effect imaginable when starting them! I lost so much weight I was unrecognisable. Four weeks ago I knew citalopram was not going to give me any significant improvement. I tapered off and titrated to mirtazipine . Wow! What a difference! Instantly felt better, no side effects, apart from a bit sleepy first day. Now overeating! Put back on a stone. I do get a few low days here and there, but get many perfect joyful days! The transformation is incredible. The only reason I didn't switch sooner was fear of awful crippling side effects. Little did I know. .there wasn't any! Wonderful mirtazipine gave me back my life. Don't hang around suffering as long as I did. Consider a change if you don'tstart seeing significant improvement ♥

• Posted

Hi Lorraine. How did you go about changing the meds, ie coming of the Cit and going over to Mirt, have read on previous posts you moving over, this is the thing that concerns me is the side effects, what really puts me off, think it does for all of us, Also is yours for Anxiety or depression.

Thanks for all ur help

Sam xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

Thank you for your reply, no I never tried anything other than cit, i am terrified of coming off cit and starting all over again I couldn't go back to the start, I just keep hanging in there and hoping things will keep getting better!!

But then I suppose there are different medications for a reason, you must be so happy to see an improvement like that straight away. To be honest with you and myself I think I actually got a whole lot worse when I started taking the cit, before I took it I was bit anxious with a few panic attacks , since goin on it I got more anxiety and depressed, but I think/ hope I am slowly very slowly coming out the other side..

Kind regards

Nicola x

• Posted

Hi Sam

mine was both anxiety and severe depression. I reduced from 40mg citalopram to 20mg straight away and stayed on the 20 for two weeks. Then reduced from 20 to 10mg for a week, then introduced mirtazipine 15mg every night. Lastly I spent a final week taking 5mg citalopram and continued with 15mg mirt. Then stopped cit completely. I can honestly say because the mirtazipine made me feel so well, I couldn't detect any noticeable withdrawals from citalopram. I was scared as heard so many scary stories eg brain zaps etc. And promise you I got none. (Got loads of side effects starting cit and zero coming off. Amazing!) I honestly feel mirtazipine has given me my life back..almost immediately! No side effects just joy! As you can see I did not spend weeks and weeks coming off citalopram. My view is i wished I hadn't waited so long, now I have an odd off day but loads of great ones♥I would say to anyone if no better after three months it's worth considering a new AD. Don't suffer longer than necessary. ..get that joy back.

god bless x

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me Lorraine, appreciate it. I had all the side effects getting on Cit and moving really does scare me. Week 12 for me started last night so gonna give it this week and then go and see the Doc. Just the foggy heavy is bothering me, the anxiety majority of the time is zero and I'm not depressed, I went on it cause I had really bad panic attacks and anxious. Just want to wake up and get on with my day with out taking till the afternoon to feel ok. Thought it would of lifted by now, but i know they take time. What made u bite the bullet.

Thank you so much

Sam xxx

• Posted

*foggy/heavy head and tired eyes
    • Posted

Hi Sam

after a long wait (too long) six months. I had no energy and my appetite never appeared, so I looked like a scrawny and haggard (developed a house of leather face lol) 55 year old starting to look like I was In my 90's. !! I did get glimmers of health in the evenings but stayed in bed throughout the day time hours.

I was singing mirtazipine praises yesterday as they 100% lift depression, but now I get sporadic rages! Never been an angry person. I am meant to start yet another antidepressant tomorrow! Venlafaxine. To be honest I think it's time for me to at least try being drug free before considering starting it. Who knows I may not need it lol. Foggy head seemed extreme when taking catalopram! That makes it hard to feel any kind of improvement doesn't it! I would say hang in there a bit longer as you have done all the hard work getting these into your system. If no improvement in another month, please speak with your doc for their views xxx

• Posted

Ah no way bless u on both counts of either not working!!! It's so hard isn't it, what works for some makes others feel so poorly. My friend was on Cit, then moved to Mirt and now she is on the Vex, and that works for her very well. I'm definately gonna take ur advice and hang on in there for a while longer, have worked my socks off to combat all the stresses and strains getting on these things. I hope that drug free works for u, I'm hoping that in a few months when hubby returns (in the forces and currently on deployment) and were back to a normal family life ie he is here I can come off and relax more and not let anxiety beat me.

Wish u all the best and I can't thank you enough for all the support

Sam xxx

• Posted

Thanks Sam

glad your here too! I imagine your hubby being deployed isa tremendous strain and understand it must be hard to get the anxiety under control.

He is doing a fine thing helping others regain peace and safety. My prayers are with you both. ♥ let's hope tomorrow brings us a better day and plenty of smiles! Well best we stay optimistic at least lol! ♥

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.