Weight loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced considerable constantly decreasing weight loss even though still eating normally? 

My husband weighs only 7 stone now and all of his clothes are much too big. He's always been of slim build, but never weighed less than 10 stone.

Our G.P. has shrugged it off after he had (horrible) negative tests, saying there's nothing wrong apart from his PHN. G.P.'s and hospitals seem to write people off once they're retired, he's just turned 68.

I'm almost sure that PHN itself doesn't cause unexplained weight loss. 

He's getting very depressed with the pain and constant tiredness, but his appetite is more or less the same as it always was. 

I'm not in good health myself and am so worried - and scared for his life. 

(Please don't ask him to join this forum himself, he doesn't own or even like computers.)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I’m so sorry to hear firstly that your husband is suffering from PHN.  I am actually going the opposite way I’m putting on so much weight but this is due to the fact that I am physically unable to move much anymore. Have you checked the medicine that your husband is taking as some of them can cause weight loss. I hope u find an answer it’s amazing how 1 day all is well and the next your life completely changes. Good luck 👍🏼 kind regards Angie

• Posted

Hi Angie, thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear you're having problems too, PHN is an evil thing.

He was taking Gabapentin which helped for a short while and then stopped working. Another G.P. at our surgery then put him on a short course of opiod type medication, can't remember the brand name, but they made him feel terrible so he stopped.

Now all he takes is paracetamol, (tylenol) they help a little bit for about an hour or so.

• Posted

I would go to another doc for a second opinion. That’s a lot of weight to lose and this is not at all normal with PHN. Depression can cause weight loss, but not if he’s eating normally. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Charlie.

He's seen 3 different Doctors since being diagnosed, including a neurologist and the last one he saw said there's was nothing more that can be done.

One of the hospital tests he had included one for abdominal cancer and thankfully it was negative. Not one of them was concerned about his weight loss.

It's time to get assertive with a Doc. I think and demand an answer. 

Anne.

• Posted

Kia,  I truly sympathize with your husband as well as yourself. This is a very difficult condition to manage. I too, lost weight but I think it was more the result of depression coupled with the meds I am taking.   I do not have much of an appetite.  Generally speaking, when one suffers from severe pain  anything requiring energy, to include chewing food, can be a challenge.   I’m in my ninth year of this nightmare but passed the depression phase and make the most of the moments when I do feel OK. While I am never pain free, afternoons/nights are particularly challenging😱 because  pain increases. It is important to rest periodically throughout the day but still engage in some social activities to manage the depression. I do not recommend heavy activity requiring a great deal of energy because it exacerbates the pain. Yes, this is a major lifestyle change, hence quality of life reduced, thus depression.  As we accept our condition/situation we will be able to increase the quality of our lives somewhat but we can never go back to the way it was.  I am 68 years old as well and it seems that the medical community deems us somewhat obsolete and give only a minimal amount of care. Do not give up, continue to fight, someday, someone will be able to help us.  Tell your husband to “keep the faith“🙏🏼

• Posted

Thank you Sheila.

Oh my goodness, 9 years, that's terrible and a long time to suffer, 😱 so sorry to hear that.

Interestingly, I found an article in a BMJ medical journal yesterday evening. One paragraph stated:

"Patients may experience various symptoms such as weight loss, chronic fatigue, anorexia, and decreased physical activity. Interference with sleep is one of the most common problems. Depression and concentration deficit may accompany."

At least knowing that it can and does happen makes it a bit more re-assuring, if nothing else. 

He does tell himself he will get over this and makes plans for when he feels well again, so he has faith. I just hope he does one day eventually, as much as is possible anyway. 

I hope you do too, plus everyone else having to put up with this nightmare.

It just goes to show that anyone's lives can change in the blink of an eye for various reasons, life can be very cruel at times, but we have no choice other than to accept and get on with it as  best as we can. 

Sending cyber-hugs to everyone suffering. x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.