Weight loss advice please?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I saw a doctor a few days ago because I have been on medication for acid reflux and also iron and folic acid tablets. She basically said all my problems will go away if I lose 1-2 stone. 

My eating habits have always been bad as I hate cooking, I tend to eat sandwiches for dinner with a bag of crisps. I am a fussy eater but food wise I always crave fatty foods. 

My question really is how do I change my mental state when I’m happy with who I am, how do I change the way I feel about cooking? The doctor told me to lose weight but didn’t give any other advice.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

When I was prescribed pred I became a nutrition nerd and started to find out more about food. I had never really bothered before. In fact I found it quite fascinating. You could look up things like diet for acid reflux, why you need to take folic acid and what improves your levels to start with or diets with PMR. Eating a balanced healthy diet is always a good idea and makes you feel better in fact. I now look at something and think about what vitamins and minerals etc are in it. Now my friends have all started to do the same thing, we go out to lunch and decide what is good for us in a sticky toffee pudding!
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Cooking in general has never appealed to me as I am such a fussy eater and there isn’t too many meals that I actually enjoy. I don’t know how to change my negative mindset, I am now 40.
    • Posted

I am an incredibly fussy eater, my family and friends are always joking about it. Even more reason to cook for yourself surely? As I have recently had a hip replacement I cannot stand for very long which means that I have to cook things in five minutes max. It is amazing how quick you can be with a bit of organisation. Probably faster than making a sandwich even. Just list what you like and see if you can make it a bit more healthy. 
  • Posted

Hi wendy68446,

I agree with ptolemy in that if you're a fussy eater, I would have thought cooking for yourself would make the most sense as you could cook exactly what you wanted. I've had acid reflux for about 7-8 years and I've got it mostly under control now by not eating any food that is spicier than a madrass type curry and the main thing I'd say that does it is having a 250ml glass of water every morning (just after getting out of bed) with a bottle cap (a standard glass bottle cap) of organic unfiltered cider vinegar poured into it. Since doing this, the amount of pain I get has been dramatically reduced over the last few months.

About changing your mental state..... I'd say just spend soem time thinking about what makes you dislike cooking. I personally love cooking, but I'm also aware that I'm really lazy most of the time with my cooking. For example, I can't be bothered to follow recipes, so I either make it up as I go along, or I'll have a look at a recipe and then just half follow it and skip several steps to make the process quicker and easier. Another thing is to bulk make something. For rexample, I love curry (not too spicy though as explained above), but am lazy in my cooking, so I'll just add in tripple the amount of ingredients so it lasts me for a week of dinners, or if you have a freezer, you could freeze some portions for those extra lazy days where you can't be bothered to cook at all.

• Posted

My eating habits changed when I was 13 and they have been bad ever since. I rarely cook anything as it is always chicken related and I get bored easily, it is hard to explain why I hate cooking because I’m not really sure. I think part of my problem is that I dislike so many foods and what I do like I tire with quickly. I just enjoy a sandwich over a cooked meal.
    • Posted

Do you enjoy soup? You could always boil up a can pretty quickly. If you like sandwiches have you thought of having an open sandwich, more items on top and less bread?
    • Posted

Hi, no I don’t like soup but I didn’t think about an open sandwich. I will definitely do an open sandwich, thank you for the suggestion it would never have crossed my mind.
  • Posted

I don’t know where you live, but have you thought of joining a slimming club? Slimmers World is supposed to be good in U.K. Also do you do any exercise? Both are opportunities for meeting people too. The only trouble with swimming is that I spend an awful lot of time at the shallow end chatting. 
  • Posted

Hi, I have just found a new site.

It has only 3 products yet, but I have talked with the site owner and he said that he intends to present new tested by him health products and review them. I think you might be interested:

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Slimming world and weight watchers are both good avenues to go down to for losing weight but if you don't really what to change what you do too much then what about small changes like the time of day you eat your meal? make sure you don't eat late and try and choose a healthier crisp maybe? just a small tweak could help with the acid reflux.

• Posted

I suggest that you can eat healthy food like more veggies and fruits. You can replace fatty food in high healthy food like nuts, avocado also. You take protein rich food and do exercise daily for 1 hour. You should drink 1-2 glass of lemon-water which also helps weight loss.

• Posted

I suggest that you can eat healthy food like more veggies and fruits. You can replace fatty food in high healthy food like nuts, avocado also. You take protein rich food and do exercise daily for 1 hour. You should drink 1-2 glass of lemon-water which also helps weight loss.

• Posted

I suggest if you want to lose weight that you don't bother with any of the fad diets, some of which are expensive; just eat less! Only eat when you are hungry and reduce your portions which will result in your stomach shrinking so that you will feel satisfied with eating less food and you should feel hungry less often. Not everyone has a balanced diet, for whatever reason, and eating less may result in a less balanced diet so I take multi-vitamins and minerals as an insurance. An advantage of eating less is you can in theory eat what you like, and as a mood eater myself, this is an advantage. But to be sensible about this, I do try to eat healthily as much as possible, as well as having treats like eating out or a takeaway or 'junk food' sometimes, but not often!

I do not believe the article in today's e-mail from Patient.info which said research has indicated that taking health supplements, as I do, do not help your health much as this does depend on your diet, a point not properly covered in the article which seemed to me to be about people who are on a balanced diet. What about those not on a balanced diet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.