Weight loss after discontinuing Zyprexa

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi!

So here's my story in 2016 I had a gnarly drug induced psychosis which wrecked my life and landed me in jail. Since then I've been piecing my life back together and am currently doing really well and pursuing my PhD in medicine and artificial intelligence.

Anyway the first year after my psychosis I avoided meds cause of a lack of insight then in September of 2017 I finally decided that it might be a good idea to get some treatment and started taking 10mg of zyprexa I took this dose for a while then went down to 5 mg then after a couple months on that I went down to 2.5 then 1.25 and after a total of 8 months I quit.

I've been off zyprexa now for a week and the withdrawal has been worse than heroin and benzos combined. Not the physical but the anxiety which effects my thoughts luckily it seems that the withdrawals only last a week for me so right now I'm mostly ok.

However, and here's the reason for my post I've put on a lot of weight not a crazy amount but I used to be jacked with a 6 pack and now I've got a dad bod this makes me feel like s**t. I've read that for some people the weight gain can be irreversible and this really scares me I'm working out heavy 6 days a week and watching my diet. In fact I can't really eat anymore. So my question is how long will it take for me to lose this weight I feel disgusting and my self esteem is really affected. Any success stories out there? Thanks for reading smile/ Thomas

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It will take time probably different for everyone, I think you made smart, good, right decision to taper off. Very proud of you. Eat well and take vitamin D optimum level 1000iu, I like to think that no weight gain is irreversible but I guess it depends what causes it. Psychiatrists and clinical teams will say it's because this drug increases appetite, from experience, it can lead to excessive eating and sleeping patterns, severe constipation, basic living hell, hunger never satisfied, another descriptive metaphor, the light is on but no-one home. I'm sure you'll be fine and can put this all behind you. Keep up the exercise, don't have to be too hard on yourself or spend lots of money on gym, yoga builds mental and physical strength. Evening walking, about half hour after meal. You had been taking a psychotropic medication for 8 months, continue be kind to and love yourself, understand that pain, anxiety are a part off life, that everyone experiences, there is nothing wrong with you. There are many ways other than medication to deal with such emotion, feelings. Hope you can build on your success so far, sure with some daily leg raises and sit ups you'll get your physique back to that jacked 6 pack. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Sid. Yeah this drug was poison but it did help me with my depersonalization and racing thoughts and other weird post psychosis stuff like trouble concentrating and just general thought disturbances.

Thankfully that's all gone now though unfortunately the side effects of this drug are brutal and almost makes it not worth taking.

I too hope that no weight gain is irreversible and I have lost some during the tapering not a lot but some. I guess my problem is that I'm impatient I want it all to drop off now but I've only been off it for a week.

I took zyprexa and seroquel years ago for. A couple months and gained a bunch of weight and it took a couple months for it all to fall off (one or two) Soi guess I'll just have to be patient and active smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.