Weight loss after reduced methimazole dose?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello. Ive put on weight since starting methimazole two years ago. I just had my dose cut from 5mg to 2.5 mg, and am feeling well. Has anyone experienced weight loss after reducing their methimazole dose? Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Your methimazole is a steroid I believe and it will make you got to the fridge alot more. Reducing the dosage will not help that much, perhaps a little, but still a steroid and that's sometimes what they give patients that can not gain weight. I had an issue too.....the pills helped but the weight gain wasn't all that great. I since had my thyroid removed, and am doing great. Its been almost 2 mths now, and feel alot better with out taking as many pills . Sometimes its best to go right to the source of the problem and get it taken out and never mind all these prescriptions if you can that is.....Hope this helped and hope you get better soon , as I know how tough it is...

• Posted

Methimazole is not a steroid. It works by interfering with thyroid hormone production, that is what slows your metabolism and causes weight gain.

If anyone has any personal experience with this, any info is appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Breann,

I do agree with you for that MMI isn't a steroid. I had the same weight gain (or weight recovery from GD) experience after taking MMI. A long journey of gradually reducing MMI dose did cut me back a bit on weight. At my high point of GD, I was down to 124 and then gradually back up to 139 after starting MMI... Now reducing to 3 x 2.5mg a week and I am happy to be 130. So hang in there as your lab keep normal and you feel good (no or little symptom)... Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi, I also put on weight over the almost three years I took carbimazole. It made me feel really sluggish but after removal of my thyroid last May I feel lots better and now only take levothyroxine daily. I've lost weight gradually because I am more active, eat less and am aiming to lose the 16 lbs I put on when I was on the drug . I have 8lbs more to lose and hope to achieve this by May 2020.

• Posted

I had bad hyperthyroidism and lost significant weight 7 months ago. I wqas put on 15 mg of Methimazole and about three weeks later I stated puting on weight and was perfectly fine.

Three months ago, my doctor reduced dose to 10 mg. I felt good for two more moths with my normal weight until suddenly 4 weeks ago I started loosing weight agin.

I am on 10mg Methimazole. Lab work shows all levels normal so why am I steadliy loosing weight ??

Down 3 kgs already. Pass volumes of urine at night. I am not diabetic. Loosing muscle weight very typical of the first time around.

Very worried. Has anyone experienced this ?. Any comments would really help thanks

• Posted

methimazole is not a steroid..im hyperthyroid 2018..i lost 10 pounds..started methimazole and gained what i lost..its bec when your hyper you burn so fast..everything from muscles to bones to heart to metabolism..so if you take methimazole your thyroid will become well again..so you will gain the pounds that you lost..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.