Weight loss after uterine artery embolization

Posted , 16 users are following.

OK, not weight loss exactly, but a reduction in size!

I'm down to have uterine artery embolization this year, but I look at various forums and women have said they've noticed 'a slight reduction'.

I had wished to go back to my usual dress size - naturally this is not a priority for the NHS, which I fully understand, but what is the best procedure to have the 'bulge' completely disappear?

Asked the hospital, but they were quite rude about it all. Is there anyone who's had this procedure done? Did it completely go?

Many thanks xx

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Before you go in for any procedure, you might want to try something a little less invasive. I found a post a few weeks ago when I was diagnosed with fibroids. I have been following this regiment for a few weeks and am feeling very hopeful. For the castor oil treatment, I've been using a castor oil pack with a heating pad for an houreach night. Please read the post below:

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and Blackstrap Molasses worked, along with castor oil rubbed on my belly each night after a warm shower. 2 tbsp ACV mixed with 2tbsp BSM. It doesn't taste all that wonderful but you get used to it. Some people like it. Some people can't handle them together and have them separately which is fine too. Some people get bloated when they have them together. I did a few times but it got better. I did this routine religiously for a few months... can't remember exactly how long and then I eased off it. I didn't even have it every day. I would have the full doses about a week before my periods would start (I'd be reminded because I used to get cramps), and continued for the duration of my period. Some months later my period became more regular. At first I bleeded heavy for three days, even clotted but apparently, it was just the fibroids breaking down. After the three days, my period would stop which surprised me. After a few more months my period was regular as clock work, light and completely painless... apart from the odd slight discomfort to remind me it was there, I was doing great. After six months of begging this routine, I did another ultrasound and my fibroid and cysts were gone from both ovaries. Actually one of my ovaries had shrunk so small they couldn't even find it... which was a first lol.

The ACV broke down my fiber completely and the BMS stopped the bleeding and replenished a lot of nutrients I lost. It also got rid of a few cysts as well as the fibroids. The castor oil will aide with circulation, breaking down the fibroids and removing the toxins by supporting the liver. It's also anti-inflammatory.

Also read up on xenoestrogens and try and cut them out of your life as much as you can. Eat foods that block estrogen production such as pears, apples, berries, melons etc. Avoid estrogen producing foods such as dairy, caffeine and alcohol. You can search there net for more foods to have and avoid.

Eat more greens... they're also anti estrogens plus they're high in iron. If you're not a vegan/vegetarian, whenever you eat red meat, have some greens with a bit of lemon juice. It's been found that heme iron (from meat sources) help the absorption of non-heme iron and the vitamin c from the lemon juice will help it along even more.

I also took magnesium (chelated magnesium) and potassium, both from supplements and from food. If you crave chocolate, try switching to cocoa nibs which are one of the richest and yummiest sources of magnesium... and other important minerals.

I used to suffer with endometriosis, fibroids, cysts and adhesions. My periods used to be irregular and heavy for about eight days and I was severely anemic.

• Posted

Thanks for your post, Sarica! It has really given me new hope for alternatives. Unfortunately, I'm getting pressure from my family, and right now after taking on T of each bsm and acv every morning, maybe I should up the dosage; I'm having an aweful heavy period. It's so bad that I think I might be bleeding to death :-( day two of this awful mess and I'm hoping it will let up. I've been doing the routine for just a few weeks now but I don't know how much I can take. Hopefully I will get some relief in the next day or so. I really want the alternative to work!
    • Posted

Hi Sarica. Thank you for post. I will try your 2tbsp ASB and BSM.. i am taking milk thistle and turmeric twice a day. And feeling okay so far with pain. I can exercise after 1 day of taking it. I was very happy. But will update when my period comes. I will try taking systemic enzymes(waiting for the parcel) and see if it shrinks the fibroid. For some asv+bsm shrinks their fibroids but for some just the pain is gone. So i will stick with these capsules+the enzyme+asv and bsm. Will update again soon. Please post updates as well. Thank you so much
  • Posted

Hey, thanks sarica!

I've been taking Lean Greens (which are your 5 a day in a powder) and will def give the apple cider vinegar a go - I've heard about that stuff before.

Mine is now the size of a full term pregnancy. Also suffering with anaemia (I guess being Veggie doesn't help!)

Also heard Wasabi is supposed to be good for it (ie - the fibroids really don't like it) not sure if that's true but I'm giving it a go.......its an acquired taste!

Thanks again xx

• Posted

No problem! I think the main key is to cut out dairy as completely as you can. I've been drinking almond milk and I love it! Also, the castor oil treatment for one hour a day along with the 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 2 tbsp of black strap molasses has been helping a lot. I've been doing this for roughly 3 weeks now and my first period since starting the treatment was only 3 days of heavyish bleeding and a couple of days of light bleeding. Best period I've had in years! I've cancelled my surgery in the meantime to see how this progresses.
  • Posted

That is rather brilliant!!! Don't blame you for postponing your surgery.

I've also heard Turmeric can help?

I've got that coconut milk type stuff (no dairy so its cool) Ironically, I was eating and drinking a lot of soy products, then my fibroid got VERY angry. Doctor tells me there is no link, but I'm not convinced!

Another question, are you still able to exercise? I used to go to the gym, but found I got out of breath and very tired (possibly anaemia) so I had to give up. But I'm getting so large now, I feel I must do something!

• Posted

Soy definitely raises estrogen levels. It is well documented. Women in the US are told to avoid it. Plenty of information if you google "soy and fibroids" or "soy and estrogen".

• Posted

This experience has taught me that doctors don't know everything. I think natural treatments should be recommended more often especially before surgery. I absolutely believe soy can be linked to fibroid growth along with dairy.

To answer your question, I have been walking as my main form of exercise. I walk an hour a day. It's a very low impact exercise that doesn't wear you out too much and produces very positive mental and physical benefits. If you have a dog it's great too cuz they love it so much!

• Posted

Hi,

It's a big decision in the end, but I went for open surgery, as my fibroids were 7cms and 8 of them, I went from a size 10 to size 14 pre-op, I'm 5'11 and can hide a bit of extra weight, but it was beginning to really weigh down and I felt so bloated. Thankfully, it seems the op went well. My surgeon, who also does embolisation, said that I wouldn't really get the substantial bulk reduction without surgery. And one particular fibroid might not fare well, with a risk of infection with embolisation. It also depends though on the size, location of the fibroids and your age, too. Maybe keyhole surgery, less invasive, could be an option? Or maybe embolisation they feel will really work for you, ask them why, if so, and all the questions you need to ask to feel you have a complete picture of the options available. Or progesterone tablets could slow growth, with no procedure necessary? A good, sympathetic consultant should be able to help you talk it through if any doubts, and weigh the pros/cons. I saw mine three times with further questions!

I also found that fibroids of themselves cause weight gain, along with bloat and displacing neighbouring tissue and new little angles and pockets gathering, and it was impossible to do sit-ups, I know why now, having seen the mass he took out attached to the underside of my uterus. I had some gentle family and boyfriend teasing about a little bit more is more to love etc re weight, but having been slim all my life and having to give up on some lovely trousers, it wasn't great. and I did all the things the ladies on this forum have mentioned, ate v healthy, I speed walked to work and back each day, 90 minutes, and still they slowly but steadily got bigger, and I looked bigger. When they have a foothold, I found exercise didn't help, nor diet, as they're happy growing away!

Weight is important, in a healthy balanced way, and I think a good consultant should sympathise with this - mine did, and be happy to talk it through with you. I had to change hospital to find my consultant though.

• Posted

Thanks Terri

They're going to do UAE - had my MRI scan (it measures 8 inches) but when I called to ask, I was told by one of the consultants that they are not plastic surgeons and they don't remove fat! I was really upset and even complained - not that I think it would do much good.

It is of no importance to them - and this is supposed to be one of the top ones in the UK on the NHS! I fought really hard to go to this one (my doctor tried to stop me) as every other hospital wanted to give me a hysterectomy (I'm 37) when I explained this wasn't an option I was ridiculed for it.

I'm going back to St Georges this week, hopefully this will be the last consultation before the treatment.

Fingers crossed something happens and soon smile

• Posted

What is a UAE? I had a UFE.. Uterine Fibroid Embolization.
  • Posted

my opinion the UAE did not work for me they only did it to slow the bleeding down because within the two months I had 3 blood transfusions from losing all the blood from my menstrual cycles my other option right now is a hysterectomy I'd rather have that done.I cannot wait to have a hysterectomy done and I'm 41 I say if you're having your menstral cycle more then 2 weeks at a time during the month get a hysterectomy done avoid the UAE cuz it won't be worth it
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear it didn't work out. I hope you feel better after the op and everything sorts itself out smile

I do not want a hysterectomy (never had children) so may go for the other operation.....have my final consultation in a month, so hopefully they'll be able to offer some advice on which is best!

• Posted

I was told that surgery was the best option for losing the pregnant appearance, but I went for UAE anyway. I had extreme fibroids and I got the impression that the doctors and technicians were quite surprised about their size. I am now 6 weeks post procedure. Because of the state of me, the procedure was tough and I did not eat properly for many days. In the first week I lost 1/2 stone (I had perfect BMI pre-procedure). I am still concerned as I now eat chocolate and other junk (didn't before) and I have just weighed myself to notice that I am still many pounds lighter than before. Before UAE I bought a pair of jeans that I had been coveting, they were very tight. About this time I was reading every account of real-life experiences that I could find to prepare, and one lady developed a bulge that only went after 6 months! I put the jeans away still with the label on. About 1 wk post-UAE my belly swelled massively, but I was sensible and did not panic, as I had done all the reading and knew about this. About 2 wk post-UAE the belly went down a bit, bodily functions started to return (they took a few more weeks to return to normal, I was quite sick, but had been told I would be) - at this stage I tried the jeans on again, they were about the same fit as when I tried them on in the shop. So I knew I had better results in this respect than the poor woman who had 6 months of bloated appearance. Today I decided to do the jeans test again, and they are actually LOOSE. Also, my other half thinks I have lost some "belly". I cannot see it yet, but the scales and the jeans do not lie. I do wonder how I can have lost anything yet. So maybe it's just fat. Whatever it is, I now feel better than pre-UAE, so even people with fibroids as bad as mine can end up feeling like the UAE was worth it. I will never have the washboard stomach, but at my age I'm just grateful to be feeling so well.
    • Posted

Hi, I'm scheduled for the UAE at the end of this month. I'm a bit nervous and not looking forward to feeling nausea and pain and whatever other surprises may be in store. Hopefully they will be pleasant ones. From reading your post I feel there's hope that when the fibroids shrink from the silocone pellets, the bloating will diminish as well. How are you these days?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.