Weight loss after uterine artery embolization

Posted , 16 users are following.

OK, not weight loss exactly, but a reduction in size!

I'm down to have uterine artery embolization this year, but I look at various forums and women have said they've noticed 'a slight reduction'.

I had wished to go back to my usual dress size - naturally this is not a priority for the NHS, which I fully understand, but what is the best procedure to have the 'bulge' completely disappear?

Asked the hospital, but they were quite rude about it all. Is there anyone who's had this procedure done? Did it completely go?

Many thanks xx

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I worked hard to lose 85 pounds, but after UFE my weight is up 25 pounds. I am dieting and speed walking each morning for 45 minutes. My body responds well to strength training so I am anxious to hit the gym. I was excited to read your midsection  began diminishing. It gives me hope as my midsection is a puffy biscuit. Keep up posted on your progress.
  • Posted

I am 4 weeks post-op UFE. My stomach is bloated and I am 25 pounds over my goal weight. As I have resumed walking on the treadmill (at 3.0-3.7), when did you begin jogging? Secondly, when did you resume strength training?
  • Posted

Hi, I started reading this thread today with a scheduled date for surgery with the embolization procedure. I am nervous and apprehensive. I definitely don't want to gain weight. How are things going for you lately? Any improvements? I appreciate any input.
  • Posted

A couple of months ago I had my hand on my stomach and felt a lump, it felt like it was the size of a large bar of soap. My doctor ordered an ultrasound which confirmed that I had several fibroids--the largest being the size of a grapefruit.

I scheduled an appointment with an IR and she ordered an MRI.

Backing up, since December, I have lost 30 lbs but noticed in the past couple of months that my stomach got pooch or and the top of my belly was hard and distended. I lost more weight but noticed my clothes were fitting all wrong. My cycles were getting very bad, too.

This past Thursday, June 27, I had the USE done. It went well, spent the night in the hospital to manage pain, and went home Friday afternoon.

Already my grapefruit is softer and my tummy is softer--I can suck it in now!! The appearance of my abdomen is smaller according to my husband.

I hope I don't get this 1week later bloating I am reading about here.

The contractions are painful still, 2.5 days later, still on pain meds and tired. My appetite is diminished, too. I believe I will take some Milk of Magnesia.

This has been my experience, I'll update if anything comes up...

Meanwhile, I am waiting for my hemoglobin to go up, it is so low I cannot think or function!

• Posted

Bless your heart! I feel ya! been dealing with this issue my whole life. It is comforting that it seems to be working cause mine is either a grapefruit or a bowling ball :-( I will probably be taking the plunge as well in the very near future. I will let you know what's happening on my end and I will offer anything I can think of that may help if youre' looking for suggestions. I guess you are already taking iron,right? That blackstrap molassis isn't too bad if you can stomach it, try mixing it with some almond milk, vanilla is good. 1 tblsp of that has 20% daily of iron. Let me know!
  • Posted

Im actually going to have the process done end of this month! I'm #Terrifed.....but this is less time for me to be out. Can u give me any advise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.