Weight loss and afib

Posted , 7 users are following.

My afib has improved with my ablation. However, I am sure it would improve even more if I could lose 75 pounds. I am 250 and 5'8.

I read about garçinia today. Anyone tried it? I have never done diets before except on my own, like giving up sodas and "trying" to give up bread.

Interested in opinions. I am 69 and otherwise healthy.(except for that annoying afib thing)

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hello and good that the ablation worked but yes, extra weight does make the heart work much harder and it would be really good if you could lose a bit. do not know what garcinia is but I lost weight by cutting out wheat and it is surprising just how fast it can happen. VERY hard to stick to but it  may be easier if you eat bread etc on 2 days only so you have it to look forward to
  • Posted

The key to losing weight and keeping it off - mindfulness.

Eat ONLY when you are hungry and do not finish everything on your plate if you are no longer hungry. When eating - every few minutes - ask yourself if you are still hungry, and if the answer is "no", then it is time to stop.

Also, alcohol does sometrhing metabolically that suppresses calorie burning, so if possible minize alcohol.

Frank 

• Posted

Thanks frank. It is discouraging to give up almost1500 calories a day( I drank a liter of Pepsi a day) and lose nothing. And water is what i substituted it for! As far as alcohol- I haven't had more than 2 drinks in 69 years, but I will keep plugging along.

• Posted

I forgot to mention the sugar part of losing weight.  There are 43 grams of sugar in one can of Pepsi, and you really only need maybe 20 grams/day of simple sugar - total.

That said, anything containing simple sugar will raise your insulin levels, and one of the jobs of insulin is to prevent you from burning fat. 

Calories have nothing to do with that - it is your inability to burn the fat, even on a low calorie diet. Now that you do not do the Pepsi anymore, are you getting too much sugar someplace else?

Sugar can be addictive and really tough to eliminate from a diet,

• Posted

If I had to guess. Sugar is my culprit. I am seeing a nutritionist Monday. Thanks. Stay tuned! I'm determined to get this off!

• Posted

Hi 3 afiblady,

Loosing weight does decrease the strain on your heart. So, that will help all the way around. I don't know about Garcibia though. I'm not too keen on some alternative supplements, but that's a personal choice. I think more water during the day might help and adding more protein type foods.

I did drop weight myself after my diagnosis, which did help me feel better and some of my numbers improved, but it actually did not help my arrythmia. A routine of exercising was helpful in calming my heart down some, so I keep that up.

I think any healthy habit that you add will help you and your heart. smile

• Posted

Those diet supplements are never a good idea. You don't know how they interact with any meds you are on (and doctors will tell you the same, since there is no data). Switch to breads that are thin (lavash, pita),  Switch from starchy sides (potatoes and rice) to whole grains, like quinoa and freekah. If  you eat salads, skip dressings and just use olive oil and vinegar (lemon, mint, and olive oil is good, too). Rather than deprive yourself of foods, just add healthy foods that make you feel full. Starting your day with oatmeal (real oatmeal) gets you through the morning. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.