Weight loss and hypothyroidism

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've struggled with hypothyroid fatigue for almost 11 years now and since then I've put on weight really easily. I find even low impact exercise like yoga is completely draining and I wondered if anyone could share any weight loss or dietary tips that have worked for them? I'm not keen on fad diets or food deprivation but if anyone has any tips on how to motivate yourself to lose weight or any particular ways that people have found helpful I would be very grateful. Suffering with anxiety doesn't help either, just can't seem to shift this excess weight.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. .i was only diagnosed a year ago and already have put on 40lbs.. i feel the same.. i can have a good week and start working out. ( i use a balance ball as its easier on the joints and some liw impact cardio) but after a week or two i seem to burn out and takes me weeks to get motivated again.. thanks for a great question would like to know the same and um sire lots of people on here would love the answer x
  • Posted

With thyroid disease, your netabolusm is slower than the average person. If you’re like me, you’ll likely gain weight following most diets, simply  because our metabolism is so slow. You have to reduce caloric intake accordingly. 

If you have additional medical issues, anxiety, nutritional deficiencies, exhaustion, toxicity, toxic/sluggish liver, chronic pancreatitis... these will or will potentially severely hamper your weightloss efforts.

At my healthiest, I’ve found a gluten free Paleo style diet, with very low calories along with exercise to be very effective in the past. However, I recently discovered that a white rice fast, as used for subacute pancreatitis, to be extremely effective in calming my system’s flare ups. After much reading, I've come to the conclusion that subacute or chronic pancreatitis may be a typical pathological accompaniment  to hypothyroid disease.  I feel that regular liver cleansing can also help alleviate pancreatic symptons and can aid in weightloss.

Make sure you get enough protein and are taking a good quality multimineral an multivitamin.

Hate to say, but emotions seem to play a huge role in weight. Stuffed dien emotions tend to jam up energy in the body.

Please ket me know if you have any weightloss tips!

• Posted

I was pretty much in the same situation as you are, except that i have been having issues with my hypothyroid for about 2/3 years, and managed to get to the correct dose of levothyroxine only 1 month ago.

Over the last 3 years I gained 40kgs (88lbs) and there was no way to lose it.

When my medication started to work and I feel I had enough energy, I started going for 45/60 minute walks and that seemed to help a  lot.

Eventually I also started counting calories and set myself a daily caloric intake 4/500 calories below my maintenance need.

It's a tedious task to track all calories and macros, but for me it works great and I am super happy. down 17kg (37lbs) in 60 days, also in combination with a intermittent fasting diet, which is doing awesome for the cognitive issues I had due to hypothyroid.

Good luck finding what works for you! 

• Posted

Wow you lost 37lbs in 60 days.. jezz thats amazing. Well done x
    • Posted

Hi Zagar, intermittent fasting? This strikes a chord with mw because I did the same thing after reading about chronic pancreatitis. The fasting helps calm the pancreas  and can stop a pancreatic attack- mild or acute. 

I’m not much if a fasting type, but I find I get huge releif by giving my body a break from food, and it takes the adema and inflammation way down.

Have you looked ar chronic pancreatitis symptoms at all?

I’m desperate to know if others have run across the connection between hypothtroid and pancreatitis!

• Posted

Hi Catherine,

I looked into the typical symptoms of chronic pancreatitis but nothing I can relate to.

In general intermittent fasting has shown positive influence on many chronic diseases although i believe there are no concrete studies on the subject.

For me, other than the weight loss, especially helped regain my focus and mental health. Also people around me noticed how much more sharp and in the moment I've become.

Definitely not easy to get into it, but worth a try. After the first week or two the cravings are completely gone and the fasting period is easily controllable.

• Posted

I have done many different diets and they did not work until just last year when I made a lifestyle change. 

My husband and I both have fitbits now and set our goals to what each of us were comfortable with. I took a 500 calorie per day deficit  it takes discipline but in 6 months I lost 30 pounds. We cut fat and calories and use portion control by weighing out all of what we eat. I’m now in maintenance mode and couldn’t be happier. No extreme exercise just got my 10k steps every day.   Good luck. 

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your advice smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.