Weight Loss and Shift Work

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

My GP has put me in Orlistat because I need a kick start into losing weight, my knees are bad so I cannot exercise that much without being sore for days after. So I am a member of the vicious circle, want to exercise, can't exercise = more weight gain.

Anyway,,,, One of the things I think I will struggle with is my working pattern.

I work 2 days/2 nights 4 off, so regulating my body clock, eating habits etc, is a little tricky to almost impossible.

It gets to about 3am on a night shift and the temptation to reach for sugary foods is very strong.

Anyone any advice, on what I should eat instead, or even when I should eat on this type of shift pattern.

Best wishes to you all,

FFB

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello and welcome to the forum FFB :-)

I personally cant give you any advice, but I believe there are a couple of members on here that work the night shift, that may be able to help you. Maybe our member Britney can come up with a few suggestions for you.

Good luck with your weight loss and remember not to go over the fat rules for Orilstat, the consequences are dire!

Daisy x

///*.*\\\

• Posted

Hi FFB

i have a blog which has meal ideas etc if you want it i can PM it to you?

How much weight do you have to lose?

Britney

X

• Posted

Hi Britney,

Thanks muchly, any help/advice is very welcome.

• Posted

As far as weight to lose is concerned, I've been given no set target,

I started on Orlistat on Thursday 15th of August, with a start weight of 20st 11 lb... it may be a stretch, but my own personal target is 15 stone.

No specific time frame, all this weight took a total of 18 yrs to accumulate, from being 11st 3lb at age 25, to now.

• Posted

I started at 19.5 stone and said my goal was to get to an 18 (size was a 24) i am now a size 12 never thought i would be this size again so quickly. so if you stick to it you will probably go under your goal. Not sure if your DR mentioned about losing 5% of your body weight some say in 4 weeks other drs say 12 weeks otherwise you don't get the tablets from them again.

Good Luck on your weight loss journey

Britney

X

• Posted

Hi,

A good friend of mine has always worked shifts. She would take sweet vegatables to work. Also had in the middle of night the hunger for sugar.

Think of sweet tomatoes or carrots. They will give you that taste for sugar.

• Posted

Hi, 

I'm with you on the knees front.. I find gentle swimming helps. If my knees are really playing up then I swim entire lengths with just my arms. Then my arms and stomach get a work out. I find treading water helps my knees as does the sauna (heat helps ease the muscles). 

In regards to night shifts. I think careful planning is the answer. Make a plan that ensures you don't go over a certain amount of calories within 24 hours and that the 3 meals are whilst you are working. You are less likely to reach for the wrong food if what you should eat is carefully written down and organised. 

Most importantly.. GOOD LUCK ! X

• Posted

Thanks Lily,

I do hear a lot of conflicting information, regarding eating patterns, some websites suggest eating a massive meal when waking up, and nibble through the night... but I have no idea how Orlistat would cope with a sudden large meal, rather than spreading around my fat content.

Thanks again for your encouragement, and good luck to you too, heres to better knees :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.