Weight Loss and Strange Boughts of Back Pain and Urine Frequency. Cancer?

Posted , 1 user is following.

36M (37 in a few weeks), 5'9", 163 LB, White, Drink Socially, Don't Smoke, No Hereditary Cancer Genes

After a couple years of a pretty sedentary desk job and horrible diet I started back to the gym and mostly healthy eating last APR. Starting at about 185 LB. I dropped to 175 LB. by JUL and was pretty much stalled there until mid-OCT. I had sudden very bad low back pain seemingly without cause which brought me into the doctor's office where they weighed me at 170 LB., so I noted the weight change and to which I verified when I got home. I wouldn't routinely check my weight so I wasn't surprised I'd lost a little. I do workout 5x a week religiously and don't eat awful.

My doctor said it read like a back sprain and should it not improve we'd look into PT or acupuncture. The pain resolved mostly after a week, but it was then followed by a very strange frequent urination issue that also lasted a week. When the urination issue was happening they did a urinalysis and checked my thyroid, electrolytes, A1C and calcium. They were normal and they suggested the cause may be an unknown bladder irritant which obviously isn't irritating me anymore.

My concern more so now is my weight. Over the course of this past week I was monitoring and I'm down to about 165ish LB (with clothes, phone, etc. like in the doc office). That'd be 5 LBS since I was weighed in the office about 3 weeks ago. Seemingly I am suddenly losing with NO change in diet and exercise. In fact, when I saw myself dropping quickly I stopped and ate MORE to see if it would rebound and it didn't. The urine issue didn't return but the back pain is still there, albeit more mild than at it's worse. It is mostly bothersome if I'm sitting in the car for long drives or if I'm sitting on my bed propped against a pillow with my legs out.

I have no pre-existing conditions. The only daily medication I take is PreP to which my kidneys/liver are checked every 3-months and they're fine. I suppose it could be stress but I don't have anything different in my life that would be causing me more or less stress, other than these weird health things.

I spoke to a different doctor who I used to see previously and I have an appointment to see him next Friday. He said that if I have no fever, chills or obvious masses then whatever this is can wait, so now I'm waiting.

I should add I had a chest/abdominal/pelvic CT last APR as a follow-up to one I had a few months prior. That was for mysterious chest/abdominal pains that were coming and going. Comparing the two they didn't find anything odd, so I would ASSUME if I had something like CANCER it would have shown after all these scans and blood tests I had leading up to then.

Any support or advice is appreciated. I'm driving myself crazy over here with worry.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.