Weight Loss, Ileostomy Bag

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone! I have an ileostomy bag after suffering from Ulcerstive Colitis. I was diagnosed days after my 15th birthday and had a bag within 3 months of my diagnosis. I am now 25 & have a J pouch fitted but my stoma is still out. The reversal was tried when I was 16 but failed & there leaving the pouch there to maybe one day try again. I have struggled with my weight ever since i can remember and i've recently not been well and as some of you all may know it is a lot faster to lose weight then gain it. Does anybody have any tips to gain weight when you are going through what i'm going through? I can feel how low my weight has dropped again and it's the one thing that really gets me down. I'm sick of not being able to fill my clothes out & look in the mirror & not see myself. If anyone had any tips or help, please reply.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi elisha i had mine very young too. i struggle to keep weight off but that is because I had ulcerative colitis. was yours chrones disease as I know people are usually thin with that. as for putting weight on you best ask your doctor. they might be able to suggest a build up health drink.

• Posted

Hi Elisha, my son has a j pouch after an ileostomy and stoma with UC. He is lucky his pouch was completely successful. He was treated at John Radcliffe Hospital Oxford who were so experienced and knew exactly what they were doing. I am sorry to learn you had problems with the pouch, did you get a second opinion?

He ate small meals with high calories and ate Complan in between as he had lost so much weight when he wasn't able to cope with the UC symptoms. He put on 3 stone in the year between the ileostomy and pouch surgery and did walking and some gym work to get fit again. I wish you luck, such a horrid disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.