Weight loss/stress creating hypothyroid?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone ever been told by endo weight loss and/or stress caused hypo?

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

No I have never heard that at all
    • Posted

Cannot find anything stating so either. Numbers up from normal last year to 7.6 last month. Retest this week. No real symptoms unless I "think" about it. I see an Endo so surely she knows what she is talking about...

• Posted

I believe that stress can be a contributory factor for hypo. It is also possible that a period of hyper (which includes weight loss) can occur before the onset of hypo.

• Posted

I believe both caused mine. I took diet pills and starved myself in my 20s.
    • Posted

I've lost 15 pounds (by choice) since Jan 2016, cutting simple carbohydrates from my diet. I take it yours did not resolve on it's own?

My test results and physician comments (via letter) led me to think it was possibly a false reading as "weight loss and stress" can cause numbers to rise. I was high end of normal (4?) in Oct 2015 and 7.6 in July 2016. Repeat blood work this week. I do have family history of hypothyroid.

• Posted

Agree with this statement Alice . Stress causes all manner of problems health wise without a shadow of a doubt . 
    • Posted

Maybe I should ask this way... Has anyone had a "false" reading which resolved on it's own without taking meds. I am certainly not anti med if I need it. Symptoms include brain fog, dry and brittle hair and history of depression. I wonder if any of this is tied to my thyroid or if I am assuming the symptoms based on one high reading? The dry hair (markedly obvious) and brain fog/lack of focus is relatively new... Within past 12 months. Actually, the only symptom I don't have is cold sensitively. I just assumed the other symptoms were age related. Maybe the puzzle pieces are coming together? Maybe not...

• Posted

I've suffered anxiety for past 10 yrs ,came on with illness and the stress it caused me to have .Big weight loss ,thyroid antibodies , all from illness and again stress as biggest factor . Im due a thyroid scan which I believe will be Hashimotos diagnosis . I don't believe in the age related thing. Never have done period , cop out by drs . I've never had depression since mine all began just this anxiety is my nightmare . Thyroid Nation is best site I've found to getting answers . 

• Posted

Thanks so much for the tip on Thyroid Nation. I don't doubt at all that stress can and does wreck havoc on one's physical health just as it does our mental health. I just was surprised that my numbers jumped in such a short period of time. Thx again for your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.