Weight of knee prosthetic

Posted , 10 users are following.

In an effort to get to the bottom of why I still can’t walk properly even though is over two years since I had a knee replacent 

I was wondering if the weight of the prosthetic can be a factor as I can’t lift my leg anymore because it feels like a ton weight. Just an idea - also can anybody  tell me who to write to at NHS to complain.

I don’t want PALS - I want the chief executive 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have RA so a whole different ball game. I finally got new knees after falling so many times that I finally fell into a window and broke my neck and scalped myself. I was worried about the weight of the new knees, but they were fine. Now my body says screw you, take this, and my thigh muscles are so weak that it hurts to walk. It will never end. Just one thing after the other. I walk like Frankenstein. People think the knee surgery was bad, but it wasn't. Good luck. Never give up.

• Posted

Have you asked your GP or surgeon ? Must say mine don’t feel heavy at all , only first days was it hard to lift  knee , this doesn’t sound right . Maybe you just need more walking to strengthen muscles , but your doctor should be able to help. I’m not in uk in Australia but my implant is a uk one . Why do you want to complain ? Not happy with surgeon ? You need a medical opinion I would think 
    • Posted

Hi jenny I have no problem lifting leg not kicking my height but ca lift it about 1 metre from floor. I'm 15 weeks post tkr and am walking without aids no medication sleep well never had depression. I actually feel OK though have to admit the first month thought I'd never walk again But I do exercise every day at least twice and still use ice maybe you need to focus on weights on leg and lifts to strengthen your muscles. Good luck

• Posted

A knee prosthetic for a female weighs about a pound (450 g)...maybe a bit more depending on your size.  For a man, it could go up to 1.5 pounds on occasions.  Considering the weight of the lost bone, typically the net weight gain would be around 2/3 of a pound (300 g) for a woman. 

Consider that your muscles have atrophied over time and you need to rebuild your strength.  Have you done the muscle work for your quads, glutes and core?

• Posted

I had to lift my leg onto and off the bed with my hands for a month or so, don't remember how many,  The muscles gradually take over.  

• Posted

Mary, I am in exactly the same predicament 2 n a half years after TKR. I hate this new knee...was the worst thing I ever did getting it done. I'm much worse off than I was before. The implant feels way too big for my leg. :-(

• Posted

Oh salvation- where do u live?

I don’t know what to do. Like you I really wish I’d never had it done. X

• Posted

I know they come in different sizes maybe they used one too big? Don’t know where you are, I am in Australia and had it done privately but would have been the same surgeon etc if I had gone public . 
    • Posted

Mary and Jenny...I am in Australia. They want to do more surgery on this knee but I am too scared to let them touch me! They want to put a patella button in....which they should have done in the first place. Jenny I went through the public health system. The other knee also needs replacement but again, I'm just too scared to go through this horror again! :-(

• Posted

What state ? I had one done in Perth and one in Cairns both private , happy with both but think the newer one because of better technology will be better . I don’t know what a patella button is? I don’t really know what they did with mine except it’s a uk protheses , I’m a bit pathetic so didn’t want to hear about it. I don’t think it makes any difference whether you go private or public because most surgeons do both , the one this time I know does public , maybe not the Perth guy. Have you got second opinions? Asked around ? 
  • Posted

Sounds like muscle deterioration maybe? Ask a Physio? Just address letter to Chief Executive at the hospital where you were treated it’ll find it’s way to him or her. Or do you mean the chief exec of NHS England?! 
    • Posted

I had it done on NHS Direct at a private hospital foolishly thinking I would get better treatment and a good new knee. Pure vanity 

X

• Posted

I’m sure knee is fine , try exercise in a pool it will help and take weight , you need some small now up tings put around your ankles for some exercises  so you get more resistance , or even fins , any water aerobics classes near you? I have my own pool in Australia and it does help , at 7 mths my knee isn’t too bad but I didn’t have a problem lifting it except at first . Even sitting and standing from a chair is good , gradually increase time . But you need to strengthen your muscles . I walk my dog for an hour most days and go on my bike . Good luck
  • Posted

Look up the chief executive of your local NHS Trust on the net.

But do you really want to go down that route?!

Your leg feels heavy because you need to build up your quads & hamstrings. Without good muscle power our legs are enormously heavy even without implants! You have the heaviest bone in your body, the femur, to lift as well as the flesh, muscle & tendon. If those muscles are weak you will have difficulty. 

I joined the gym to help rebuild, have a look online to see if your local gyms have motorcize or Shapemaster suites. These are motorised gym equipment which can help in rehabilitation after ops etc. You can just lie back & let it do its thing or just resist thereby working a bit harder.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well.

Marilyn 

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.